Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Build a Cottage for $300

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know this sort of thing wouldn't work for our climate but I bet you could scrounge enough material to do something similar in Canada. I'm always seeing wood sticking out of dumpsters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Re: Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Isn't that brilliant! Something similar could be done here but maybe for a little more than 150lb's (such a computer pleb, can't make the pound symbol work - actually I haven't tried, it is blue and I'm scared that if I try to get it to work I'll make something else not work!). Just got to find the appropriate materials maybe. There are several straw bale houses near by us and they are very very insulated - warm in winter and cool in summer. Always fancied one of those. I also like the idea of sandbag houses - sandbags filled with sand/soil/cement blends - lot of work but most the materials are free. I have a book on that. One day I'll do it! But not for that cheap, it will be thousands, maybe even 10's of thousands but certainly not what regular new houses cost.

3Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Re: Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful...but does it meet building codes? Razz 

4Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Re: Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:47 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That is darling!
There are reeds here that would make great thatch.
Perhaps the turkeys would enjoy a cob and thatch barn? Wouldn't that be lovely, especially with a woven willow fenced yard?

5Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Re: Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Darn, that's cute! He must have made some of the Hobbit buildings. He's right though, a person shouldn't have to pay for the rest of

their lives for a house. I do get a kick out of the way they describe their houses as homely though. To us that would be awful, ours is

homey. Wonder what they think of our description? That is one very interesting story. Thanks Fowler---or whoever. Suspect 

6Build a Cottage for $300 Empty Re: Build a Cottage for $300 Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Cute  but awfully small  and they must throw out a lot of good lumber based on the floor ? looks to be pressure treated wood  , but hey ! good for him for taking on the challenge and finishing it

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum