Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why does this kind of stuff always happen to me?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today happens to be day 20 for my broody hen Lily. I checked on her this morning and was excited to discover a pip. Everything else was fine, so I thought it’d be best to leave her alone. Then the rain starts. Suddenly we’re getting rainfall warnings for our R.M. and surrounding area; 10-15 mm expected in the next 24 hrs. I decide to check on Lily after noticing my flock of drowned rats outside. Did I mention I can’t stand the smell of wet feathers? Yuck.

I soon discover the little hutch Lily’s been setting in has started leaking and not just a little bit either. And the leak just has to be right over her broody box. Poor mama was crammed in the corner pinned by a very soggy lid. I discover she has three chicks under her and the straw/shavings are thoroughly soaked. I make a split second decision to make a new broody box, transfer everyone into it, and move them all to the dry dog house. Thankfully it’s all ready to go because I was planning on moving the 5 chicks and 3 keets still in my basement brooder box there over the next few days. Of course that won’t work now and hubby will be grumping again about having chicks in the basement. So the move goes ahead and even though Lily was none too happy, she was staying put in the new nest last I checked. I'm hoping/praying she doesn’t freak out and abandon the chicks/ remaining eggs. Two more eggs had pips too.

GAAAAAAHHHHH!!! Neutral

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you made the best of a tricky situation. It is raining here again today. Will summer ever come? I am so sick of being wet and cold!!!! Mad

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well everything seems to be okay now. Lily has been sitting steady and clucking to her new babies. I saw two little chipmunks and what I think was a blue. I can’t wait to check them out better tomorrow. And the rain has finally, thankfully, stopped.

Thanks coopslave. And boy do I hear you. I’m completely fed up with our whacky weather and still feeling sore about our last so called summer. I swear we moved from the rainiest part of BC to the rainiest region of Sask. Suspect Bring on the sunny already!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum