Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What kind of rodent is this?

+4
Hidden River
Fowler
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What kind of rodent is this? Empty What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't take much notice of the rodents the cats catch any more but this one really caught my eye. It was the long tail. And then I noticed those big jumping back legs. Some kind of a kangaroo mouse perhaps? They had no interest in eating this one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:08 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh you are in twenty question mode this morning Cool . That is a screw I betcha, or maybe some kind of rodent that jumps, like maybe one like what they have in Australia, think they are called jumpbacks or something like that, you know, the ones with the pouches that they carry their babies in, smiling. Cute little thing, have a great, well, nope, I wanna say day, not whatever, smiling, CynthiaM.

3What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Around here we have Woodland and Meadow Jumping Mice. Woodland Jumping Mouse has a white tip on the tail. I'm thinking that's a Meadow Jumping Mouse.

4What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do believe that is a deer mouse. So be careful because those little guys do carry the Hantavirus which is bad news for humans. Always wear a mask when cleaning coops when you have these guys around.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nope did a search, it is a Woodland Jumping Mouse.
Darn Fowler beat me to it.

Last edited by Hidden River on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:06 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

He seems to be way out of his range them. Their western limit seems to be Manitoba!

I knew it wasn't a deer mouse. They are much cuter!

7What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:44 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was thinking kangaroo mouse or kangaroo rat. They are both found in NA.
It doesn't seem to have hair on it's tail. Isn't that a rat thing? I am not very brushed up on my vermin. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:He seems to be way out of his range them. Their western limit seems to be Manitoba!

You think so? I always liked these guys better. I like the jumping, the sort of stripe down their back, plus they don't try to live in your house.

this site says they range from coast to coast.

9What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:He seems to be way out of his range them. Their western limit seems to be Manitoba!

You think so? I always liked these guys better. I like the jumping, the sort of stripe down their back, plus they don't try to live in your house.

I guess it is hard to compare when the first one you see is stretched out, dead. I imagine they are very endearing when they are alive. Deer mice have those beautiful eyes and such a lovely white contrasting belly. I trapped a family that had taken up in my house once and the babies are adorable.

10What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Fowler wrote:

I guess it is hard to compare when the first one you see is stretched out, dead. I imagine they are very endearing when they are alive. Deer mice have those beautiful eyes and such a lovely white contrasting belly. I trapped a family that had taken up in my house once and the babies are adorable.

yeah, the babies are cute. Trapped a big one once and she has had a nest because a day later the babies came out. too young to even know to really be afraid of us.

It was funny because we brought the cats in from the barn. First they were upstairs wanting to lay around and enjoy the treat of being in the house. Had to carry them downstairs. Don't know if they could smell the babies or hear them but they were suddenly all business. I did rescue one baby from them and put it out of it's misery rather than let them play with it. They were indoors one night and no more babies.

11What kind of rodent is this? Empty Tormentin' the typos... Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:34 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 pm

dooversue

coopslave wrote:I was thinking kangaroo mouse or kangaroo rat. They are both found in NA.
It doesn't seem to have hair on it's tail. Isn't that a rat thing? I am not very brushed up on my vermin. Laughing

Can't be a form of rat here... Alberta is officially a RAT FREE province... Smile

13What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

dooversue wrote:
coopslave wrote:I was thinking kangaroo mouse or kangaroo rat. They are both found in NA.

Can't be a form of rat here... Alberta is officially a RAT FREE province... Smile

I always laugh when I hear this. Officially is the key word here. They are not counting all the reptile enthusiasts who are breeding them in their basement.

14What kind of rodent is this? Empty Re: What kind of rodent is this? Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
dooversue wrote:

I always laugh when I hear this. Officially is the key word here. They are not counting all the reptile enthusiasts who are breeding them in their basement.

I always laugh also not just the reptile breeders But who do they have working the Borders that stop them from entering from Sask and from BC I guess they must have signs for them to read that say no rats allowed
I have always got a good laugh when I hear there are no Rats in Alberta

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum