Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Egg Color

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Egg Color  Empty Egg Color Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:57 am

Buff

Buff

Can anyone explain to me egg color? Trying to figure out what is classified tinted and what is classified as brown and dark brown ect.....

2Egg Color  Empty Re: Egg Color Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Tinted is usually a light brown to beige colour. Many people use Tinted or Brown to describe the same egg.
Dark Brown eggs are not that common in most flocks as only a few breeds are truly known for a Dark egg. Those would be Marans, Welsummer, Barnevelder and some strains of Langshan. Although not ever bird from these listed breeds always lay dark eggs. It is a trait that has to be constantly selected for.

I have seen some birds of each of those breeds lay eggs that were only Tinted/Light Brown.
If you go on the Marans Breed Club they have a scale for deciphering how dark brown an egg is.

3Egg Color  Empty Re: Egg Color Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Buff

Buff

Thank you that helps me! Now I can finish my entries. Very Happy I didn't want to enter into wrong egg class.

4Egg Color  Empty Re: Egg Color Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My take on tinted eggs was they meant 'not white'. You know those light ones that aren't white, but really brown doesn't describe them either.
I think that can often confuse people.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum