Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

when can you tell what they are by feather color

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi In a variety such as partridge rocks can you tell what are males and female by the color of their feathers as they come in?
My 3 chicks are approximately 5 weeks old and all three have the
same brownish barred feathers coming in. I thought maybe the males
would be different.
Geri

Sushi

If they're barred, you can usually tell when they hatch by the spot on their heads.

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sushi wrote:If they're barred, you can usually tell when they hatch by the spot on their heads.

They were two weeks old when I got them and they all looked the same
Geri

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sushi wrote:If they're barred, you can usually tell when they hatch by the spot on their heads.

Sushi, you are thinking of barred rocks. The partridge ones are similar to the partridge chanteclers and I can tell my birds by 6-7 weeks but there are always some that fool me a bit and I need to wait longer.
Pullets usually have barring that stays sharper and moves into pencilling, cockerels have thicker, less uniform barring that becomes a bit irregular as they get older. Hope that makes a little sence to you. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum