Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Photos for Coopslave

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Photos for Coopslave Empty Photos for Coopslave Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here are the 2 Coopers I got from Coopslave this summer. I absolutely love these girls, such great personalities, and lay like crazy.
The eggs:
Photos for Coopslave Img_6610
The two Coopers:
Photos for Coopslave Img_6611
Photos for Coopslave Img_6613

And some of the Partridge Chanteclers:
Photos for Coopslave Img_6614
Photos for Coopslave Img_6615

This young girl I got from another breeder. She is smaller in size than the other birds, and not as nicely marked.
Photos for Coopslave Img_6616

And of course my daughter's buff hen we got as a chick this year from KathyS.
Photos for Coopslave Img_6617

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:42 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Hidden.  Yours have much better combs and wattles than mine.  One egg is a great colour, will be interesting if the speckled one improves.  Sometimes the speckles kinda fill in a bit and the egg gets darker.

My girls will help your others with pencilling and the other will help improve the ground colour of mine.
That other PChant is showing some shafting, remember lesson from Magdelan in Dark Cornish post?

Beautiful, Big, Fluffy, Buff!! Say that 10 times! Laughing 

3Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:02 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I pm'd Hidden first before I posted this. She was fine with me saying it in open forum so I am.

The first PChant pullet she posted a picture of appears to have some white in her earlobe. I have gotten a few of these and have culled them. This one obviously slipped through. It is not a desirable trait in the PChants. I suggested she keep and eye on it and if it actually is white and not just the photo, it may be best to just use her as a meat and egg producer. She certainly has the body to produce some meaty offspring doesn't she!

4Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the information coopslave, I only intended on using these girls to produce more meaty birds for my table, but the ones I got from you are so gorgeous. I need all the information possible to keep these girls going in the same direction as you have them going. Sometimes it take other eyes to see some disqualifying traits in our own birds, thanks for helping me out.

I will be putting her in my "meat pen" to make some nice sized meaty birds. This pen will be a mix of my "cull girls" that are beefy but do not meat other criteria from all my breeds, and then they will be headed by a meaty rooster, so they will be a mix of breeds but ultimately just for me to butcher in the fall. Smile

5Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:56 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

every time I see Coopers I want one (lots and lots and lots!) more and more. Nice to see them Hidden - eye candy :-). Is your Buff from KathyS from the production line she has?

6Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes we got 12 chicks this May from her, got 4 hens and the rest were roosters, but the roosters turned out awesome to eat and the hens are so gorgeous. We lost 1 to the dog but still have 3 beautiful girls left. These are her production line, so much nicer than any hatchery buff we have ever had. We even bred the large production rooster we got from her last year over our hatchery hens and got some improvement, so cant wait to add these 3 girls to the flock for beautiful babies next year.

7Photos for Coopslave Empty Re: Photos for Coopslave Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

oh my heck, I'm so into this!  really like to hear what people are doing with their breeding plans.  Really good we are going in to winter so I can pace myself here.  it is also good that we have yet to process the roosters cause I know that will have a sobering effect on me and slow me down too.   Beginning to get a feel for why people source from breeders as opposed to large hatcheries.  The hatcheries are so big, maybe they don't pay as much attention to selection as a small scale breeder might.  Do you think this is why or part of it?   Like with KathyS's line of Buffs, they improved the hatchery stock you had already. Thank you for sharing.

have had that cuppa coffee, got to go build a high rise building or something!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum