Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DE - recent research

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DE - recent research Empty DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:20 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry for posting this in two forums; not sure if most/all of us ACE exiles are all on both?

Note that "significant" effect does not necessarily mean "large". Have written to principal author for more info.

Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens
D. C. Bennett, A. Yee, Y.-J. Rhee and K. M. Cheng

The effectiveness of diatomaceous earth (DE) as a treatment against parasites and to increase feed efficiency and egg production of organically raised free-range layer hens was evaluated in 2 breeds of commercial egg layers [Bovan Brown (BB) and Lowmann Brown (LB)] that differ in their resistance to internal parasitic infections. Half the hens of each breed were fed diets supplemented with DE (2%). Their internal parasite loads were assessed by biweekly fecal egg counts (FEC) and by postmortem examination of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet. In a subsequent experiment, the effectiveness of DE to treat a Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) infestation was tested. Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens.

Poult Sci 2011;90 1416-1426
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2DE - recent research Empty Re: DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very interesting.

3DE - recent research Empty Re: DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:30 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good post IPF. I know you've expressed concerns over DE in regards to the chicken's respiratory system. Have you figured out a way to use DE without compromising their lungs? I was just about to stop using it cause I know how it affected my lungs, never mind the chickens. Although, I may have gone overboard, putting too much in their litter and nest boxes and then I'd go in their coops daily, stirring and raking.

Also have a chicken friend who dusted her birds with it who had lice and mites, to no avail. She had to bring out the big guns.

Anyways, I'm not against it, just had concluded it wasn't effective and possibly harmful but now unsure again.

4DE - recent research Empty Re: DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, the thing is, we don't know from this summary how effective DE is. The levels may have only been reduced by 5%; if you have a big enough study, that difference would be significant. I don't think for a second that DE would ever eliminate mites and other parasites, just reduce the load. I actually don't use DE, for that reason and for the lung irritant reason. I'll definintely post if I get a response from the author.

5DE - recent research Empty Re: DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:12 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sounds good. Thanks again for sharing it with all of us.

Wink

6DE - recent research Empty Re: DE - recent research Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for sharing.
I switched from the White DE to the granular DE from BC. It does not seem as dusty, I use it in the bedding for moisture absorbtion more than feed.
Red Lake Earth I think it is called.
They state it is good for in feed as well, we have used it in our calves and greatly reduced Scours in our bottle calves, mostly it gives them what they need so they are not eating dirt and therefor not picking up the spores that cause the scours.
As for in chickens I have used it in the past for paracite control, still have it out for them to dust in, but use the other stuff for paracite control.
I agree that it does not rid them of the bugs, but does reduce the load to a livable level between doses of the other stuff.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum