Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Araucana BBR flock - SOLD

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Flock has been Sold!

**********************************************************************************

After a decade of hard work, I'm seriously considering dropping this variety and breed.

I've done the hard part, building from the skeleton out.
Good back and rump structure has vastly improved fertility and vigour.
Most culls are now decent table birds with the flock averaging between 1 and two pounds over standard weight.
I have removed much of the genetic load that was causing inbreeding depression.
The flock is for the most part resistant to respiratory disease.
They make excellent use of pasture and are decent winter layers.
Most eggs range between medium and large.

I finally have green legs but work still needs to be done to get consistent proper willow colour.
Have hens with proper dark wheaton feather colour, but there is still much work to be done fine tuning the colour.

The Araucana is probably the most challanging poultry breed out there. It is not for beginners or those wanting to try their hand at breeding. Only a seasoned pro who enjoys eating lots of heritage chicken has any hope of being rewarded by this project.

Last edited by Omega Blue Farms on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

2Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Omega, do you mind sharing how you developed resistance in your flock to CRDs? Thanks!

3Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

hatch lots
don't pamper them
eat lots

only select breeders from the most vigorous.

nothing magical, just discipline and dilligence

4Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I have the eat lots down pat. And not just chicken. Thank-you!

5Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

no no no, you can only eat araucana if you want it to work, lol!!

6Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:29 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I have been eating lots of Houdans and bantam Cornish, and my flocks' vigor in many areas have shown marked improvement in a very short time. You are right. it is not rocket science.

And now to get back on topic,

What a wonderful opportunity you are offering someone!

There!

7Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Empty Re: Araucana BBR flock - SOLD Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, it appears as if nobody is up to the task of taking on this breed, or at least this line. One would need to start with about 20 birds to have any realistic hope of success and this kind of commitment simply wasn't to be found.

Therefore, I will select out 3 quality trios to sell as units and then sell the balance of the pullets as individual birds.

I'm selling them locally via the local poultry swaps. It only seems fair since it was the local communuty that helped support the breeding program over the last decade by buying my culls.

I will start with Oceanside's last poultry swap of the year.

This Sunday (Nov 3rd) at 11am. Station Farm & Feed on the Alberni Hiway near Parksville.

After that date, I will entertain visits to the farm to buy birds.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum