Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Intersting bird

+5
Fowler
toybarons
Schipperkesue
coopslave
Hidden River
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Intersting bird Empty Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

While taking my lunch break today I saw this show on animal planet on the Southern Cassowary.
These are an endangered bird in Australia, they just struck me as interesting so thought I would share.

Looks like an emu, turkey, and guinea combination. LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:27 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very dangerous birds down there. Will attack and can do lots of damage when they do!

3Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting how the babies look like giant guinea keets.

What is the purpose of that hard head lump? A cooling feature?

4Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:46 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

There was a wonder doc on birds produced in the late 80s. I believe it was called Birds of the World? I would have to check my tapes. It shows a Cassowary hen building its nest. The feet action was just incrediable! I recall them saying that Cassowary hens have been know to stomp preditors to death with their feet. Would not want to mess with them.

5Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

They do have serious stink eye happening.

6Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Interesting how the babies look like giant guinea keets.

What is the purpose of that hard head lump?  A cooling feature?
Last time I checked they theorized that the casque was for social signals (show other birds how old you are). The other theory was protection in the jungle but the young don`t have them. You may be onto something about the cooling. Someone showed that a toucan`s bill acts as a cooling tower.

7Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

It said on the show that the females make a nest, lay 3-5 eggs, and the MALE incubate and raise the young. That was interesting.
Coopslave they did say how dangerous they were, and the outer toe has a sharp blade like claw on it that can really do damage. There are less that 1500 in the world.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

I believe it's one of few birds that's alive  that can be traced back to the dinosaurs as far as having not changed a lot through time ?.......as  with all dinosaur  we can theorize all we want yet we are not sure what some of there appendages did as far as function ? I had heard that it also uses it as a defence item ? Read a article where a person got attacked by one and the head was used as a hammer of sorts to inflict injury besides the CLAW  ? Apparently it's a solid mass so cooling wouldn't be a factor............

9Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are interesting and I looked them Up and there is a Dwarf Cassowary also they are Blacker it seems kinda cute but just as dangerous

10Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just you wait...Ty will have one at his next sale!

11Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Just you wait...Ty will have one at his next sale!
*LOL* Probably

12Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:23 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting. I hadn't heard a lot of this. Always learn something here. Who knew the Guineafowl casques were used for cooling?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

All three species have horn-like but soft and spongy crests called casques on their heads, up to 18 cm (7 in).[7] These consist of "a keratinous skin over a core of firm, cellular foam-like material".[10] Several purposes for the casques have been proposed. One possibility is that they are secondary sexual characteristics. Other suggestions include that they are used to batter through underbrush, as a weapon for dominance disputes, or as a tool for pushing aside leaf litter during foraging. The latter three are disputed by biologist Andrew Mack, whose personal observation suggests that the casque amplifies deep sounds.[11] However, the earlier article by Crome and Moore says that the birds do lower their heads when they are running "full tilt through the vegetation, brushing saplings aside and occasionally careening into small trees. The casque would help protect the skull from such collisions".[10] From an engineering perspective the wedge-shaped casque is also the most efficient way to protect the head by deflecting falling fruit. As cassowaries live on fallen fruit they spend a lot of time under trees where seeds the size of golfballs or larger are dropping from heights of up to 30 metres. Mack and Jones also speculate that the casques play a role in either sound reception or acoustic communication. This is related to their discovery that at least the Dwarf Cassowary and Southern Cassowary produce very-low frequency sounds, which may aid in communication in dense rainforest.[11] This "boom" is the lowest known bird call, and is on the edge of human hearing.[12] Crowe described a cooling function for the very similar casques of guineafowl.

13Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whoa...it's beautiful.

eta: I'm fairly certain we saw one at the San Diego zoo years ago and it was HUGE

14Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:05 am

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yup.... I tried to let mom let me have one.... Hower the being dangerous part did not go over...

However you need a really expensive avery for them.

15Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:58 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

call ducks wrote:Yup.... I tried to let mom let me have one.... Hower the being dangerous part did not go over...

However you need a really expensive avery for them.  
Maybe a good pair of shin pads too?

16Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 pm

TysExotics

They are actually illegal in BC due to being dangerous... Of course with proper facilities they would be manageable, like anything.

BUT, the only pair I know of that is available right now is 2000 miles away from me, and $20,000. lol. Not happening... one day.

http://www.prairieexotics.com

17Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alberta Man Killed by Exotic Import

Ty Marshal of Ty's Exotics died Friday from Southern Cassowary-related injuries.

Ty imported the dangerous bird earlier that week. He was found Thursday in the Casowary's cage with fatal injuries. At this time it is not clear if the slashing from the razor sharp feet or the battering from the rock hard head lump was responsible for the coup-de-gras. Marshal, who regained consciousness for a short time before he expired was quoted as saying, "It was all worth it!"

18Intersting bird Empty Re: Intersting bird Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Alberta Man Killed by Exotic Import

Ty Marshal of Ty's Exotics died Friday from Southern Cassowary-related injuries.  

Ty imported the dangerous bird earlier that week.  He was found Thursday in the Casowary's cage with fatal injuries.  At this time it is not clear if the slashing from the razor sharp feet or the battering from the rock hard head lump was responsible for the coup-de-gras.  Marshal, who regained consciousness for a short time before he expired was quoted as saying, "It was all worth it!"
Dibs on his birds!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum