Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

late hatching egg?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1late hatching egg? Empty late hatching egg? Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:22 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Not sure what else to title the post!

My broody was on six eggs, four hatched over the last two days, the fifth this morning (with some help but only because of the naughty chicks pecking at its bum!)

the last egg, she has been kicking out from under her several times... just figured it was a dud. well when I went to grab it this afternoon after she still wouldnt sit on it and toss it-- it CHEEPED at me!!
affraid 
well, dang it. so the egg is currently residing in my bra, snuggled under a boob, and I am wondering what the heck do I do.

HOW long from hearing that cheeping do the eggs normally hatch?? will it be another day yet? two? a couple of hours? if its only a couple of hours, well I guess I can be a mama hen, but if its longer I am going to have to fire up the incubator to help finish hatching this one (I had plans with the kids in the morning, and I do NOT think that the older ladies at the knit and visit morning are going to understand why I have an egg in my bra Shocked )

what to do?? what to do....

Chick Help 

oh. and since its found its place near my "heart", its been cheeping like crazy as it warms up. does this mean anything?? like happy happy happy, or its not comfy?

2late hatching egg? Empty Re: late hatching egg? Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I just had one hatch two days after broody left the nest. Chickie is fine.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3late hatching egg? Empty Re: late hatching egg? Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

And now its pipping. In my bra. :s. The things we do for animals!!

4late hatching egg? Empty Re: late hatching egg? Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:22 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Awesome!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5late hatching egg? Empty Re: late hatching egg? Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 pm

vic's chicks

That is too funny. I am dying to know if it hatched in your bra. I just had a similar experience with a chick that I almost tossed until it cheeped.It is 4 days late and was really dirty from the other chicks and the mama moving it around so much Luckily one of my broody's chicks started hatching today. I wiped it off and put it under her. I hope it makes it.

6late hatching egg? Empty Re: late hatching egg? Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:43 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I had the same thing happen, but not being as quick-thinking as you, I put together a make-shift brooder, and it worked.  I did wonder how eggs all gathered the same day placed under the same hen at the same time could have such different hatching times - three days from oldest to youngest.  It is definitely awkward. (no pun intended Very Happy )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum