Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lockdown - Day early or late?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Lockdown - Day early or late? Tue May 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

Hi!
I just wrote the countdown on my calendar, and I noticed that I'm not going to be home on Day 18 to take the incubator off the rocker and increase the humidity settings. Is it better to start lockdown one day early or one day late? I've been one day late before with no obvious ill effects. Has anyone else had any experience in this?

2Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Re: Lockdown - Day early or late? Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If necessary, I would do one day late. As you said, you have done before with no apparent impact.

3Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Re: Lockdown - Day early or late? Wed May 20, 2015 8:19 am

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

That's what I'll do - I'll post back once the hatch is complete.

4Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Re: Lockdown - Day early or late? Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

Just in case anyone ever has the same question - It worked out fine to start the lockdown a day late. I had a good hatch, beautiful chicks! Not a single chick (40/46 fertile eggs hatched) with a deformity or any type of problem whatsoever.

5Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Re: Lockdown - Day early or late? Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

good to know! thanks for letting us know
i had a 7 hour power outage this year on day 18 just when i was planning to move them to the hatcher
so i waited til day 19 instead and had a great hatch as well.
i have often speculated that moving too early ie day 17 can cause problems but never knrw for sure

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

6Lockdown - Day early or late? Empty Re: Lockdown - Day early or late? Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:54 am

Derbyshire

Derbyshire

There is some research to show that the most important days for egg turning are days 4 through 7.
Here's an interesting paper: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum