Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heavy, serious topics

+16
CynthiaM
Fowler
Echo 1
Pollywog
DCChick
Hillbilly
pigglet
Bowker Acres
Schipperkesue
toybarons
authenticfarm
bckev
Rasilon
Susan
islandgal99
uno
20 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Heavy, serious topics Empty Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:34 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is a farming/rural life site. A poultry site. Yet many of the posts I make are related to neither. They are related to life and the human condition and whatever stupid idea pops into my head.

I ask this question in all earnestness, is it appropriate?

I do not post on other sites. I feel comfortable here. But perhaps I am seeing my comfort here as a blank cheque to spout out whatever is on my radar, when in fact, familiarity should be tempered with good taste and personal editing.

I do edit myself, sometimes too late. Embarassed 

I wrote a long post recently and never sent it. It was a topic that I think few would have weighed in on, shied away from. It was large, controversial and potentially upsetting to many. But something that I found very interesting, something that has been on my mind in a way I have never examined before. I thought, gee, I have to talk to my WCPS peeps about this. But in the end, I didn't.

I assume there are other sites where people can debate and kick around weighty and very serious subjects, subjects that get people emotional and riled up. My question is, how much of that is welcome here? Do you want to just cruise this site and pop in on chicken things? Is this your version of light reading? Because if it is, I'm pretty sure I muck things up.

The question is, what do you want to see here? What is your expectation of the limit that we should adhere to concerning the topics we talk about? Respecting the site title, should we keep this entire site on topic? Or mostly? I know we bounce around some more serious stuff now and then..but nothing like what I was going to dump on you all.

And, I have to be honest, when I make a post and there are no responses, I feel like I've committed the proverbial fart at the table during Christmas dinner. It is risky to toss out a line and have no one take the bait, so to speak. There I am, standing there with my pole out, feeling stupid.

But this is not about me! This is about what YOU would call the no-go zone of conversation. Where do you say, whoa, this has gotten out of hand? Do you want to keep it on the light side, or do you feel that discussion of heavy topics is okay, amongst friends? I gotta know.

2Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:52 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love the randomness of posts. If I wanted a "chicken only" forum, they are out there and I would have joined. Random posts, and regular posts, help people connect.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

It seems that as a group we need to have what we have here , a random colume just for venting , asking , or telling what ever ails us and to whom ? who ever listens , even a silent responce says a lot ! Not negative , just somethings I feel we are at a loss as to what to say ? Myself I try to remember that I had bettter listen carefully befor replying to any posting , I actually rehearse the word's before I post .This gathering of random people from all walks of life from the East to the West is a strange family indeed ,yet we click so perfectly at times that It seems we have known each other forever and if we should meet it would be as a old friend .So post I say , what ever ails you or upsets you ,or just what has your curiosity going at the moment , we are all different and each one of us has a certain personality that we have gotten to know over time and to stop being your self  ? well we would have to talk about that now wouldn't we ?....................................

4Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

UNO, for what it's worth I very much enjoy your posts. I feel the same way as you sometimes, I rely on the online community of friends I have here and elsewhere to mull through my thoughts. Half the time (ok more) I think, what am I doing?? But it helps to think through things to write it out and for some reason to share it. Appropriate? No idea really. Helpful? Yes.

5Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Should have thought longer before I posted. One other thing. There is a certain like mindedness here on the forums. We lead a different sort of life. I think that's why we seek perspective from others of these groups. Many "normal" people (lol) just don't understand.

6Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Normal is in the eye of the beholder

7Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No to censoring, let your mind ramble forth and your fingers follow. Farmers need to get their blood flowing with all the peace and ease of life we have. Keep it up.

8Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Susan wrote:UNO, for what it's worth I very much enjoy your posts. I feel the same way as you sometimes, I rely on the online community of friends I have here and elsewhere to mull through my thoughts. Half the time (ok more) I think, what am I doing?? But it helps to think through things to write it out and for some reason to share it. Appropriate? No idea really. Helpful? Yes.

I really enjoy your posts as well.
Geri

9Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've enjoyed all your posts so far, Uno.

There are certain topics that press my buttons, but you seem to be of a similar mind, so I'm not worried about what you'll say next. Twisted Evil 

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:17 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe there could be a new section just for off topic posts. THis way we won't offend the people who only come here for the chicken talk.

11Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Go, Uno, go! Keep posting. I look upon this site as a group of people who are linked by farming, yet are friends who can discuss anything and everything!

Draw the line at racism, explicit sex (family site) and hurtful behaviour and I am fine with most anything else.

12Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I like my chickens and I like to talk about them, but I really enjoy talking to others about other stuff as well. I thought about joining a gardening site because I like to talk about that, but I can talk about that here too, with people I feel comfortable with, and some I have met. I don't read all posts - don't have time. I actually come here more now for the "other stuff". If you keep typing, I shall keep reading - and respond if the mood strikes me. I do stay out of controversial topics as I tend to be on the "other" side of many fences!

13Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:39 pm

pigglet

Uno, Never met you, but I enjoy reading your post. If someone doesn't like the post just skip over it and read the next one. Different points of view is always helpful to get people thinking 'outside the box'. I enjoy the reading, keep going.

14Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

All forums have areas where out of context topics are discussed. What you concern yourself with is nothing new. I welcome your randomness in a much more thoughtful way than any other forum I've been a part of. Your posts, and the words that bind them, are so thought provoking, that for us to lose them, would be to essentially lose you. This is who you are, and I can speak for everyone in saying that we accept, and look forward to all your posts.

15Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I thought there was the "gereral chatting" section for general things that just pop into your mind. I like it and I enjoy hearing what other people might be thinking about or experiencing. Even if I don't post a comment I still read. It sometimes gives me something to think bout while I am going bout my day.

16Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I prefer a board where I can have fun and still get advice on my birds. It's more relaxed here and I Love It!

17Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you everyone.

I agree with BCKev. I am opposed to censorship. While I may disagree with your point of view, I will defend to the end your right to have it and say it, even if you're obviously dumb as a rock. Not that you're dumb as a rock, BCKev, just saying I am most decidedly in the corner of no censorship.

It's all very gratifying to hear that people enjoy my posts, as I enjoy reading all of your posts. Obviously. I keep coming back and logging in and checking to see what's going on. I HATE the thought that I might have missed something.

But, are all topics fair game?

I had read a book that really made me think about things that I had given no thought to before and it shook me. I had a set view on this topic and now that view is shaken, and that is a big thing in a life. I ran the keyboard all excited to toss out this fascinating and thought provoking information and then I thought, what if no one gives a fig about this but me? What if people do not want to think about this? Will I spoil the party by bringing this up?

I don't call this censorship as I know it. I do call it wanting to respect the feelings and expectations of other site users. Not wanting to turn on the rock and roll when everyone is doing the polka. Yes I march to my own drum, but I do not have to step on your toes while I do it. There is a time and place for everything and for once I wondered, is this the place?

Frankly, I was a little sad. Never before have my fingers hovered over the keyboard. Well, in fact I had typed a post and then hit delete. No, I'm not talking about some tragic personal event that I wanted to share. I blurt that stuff out like nothing. This was just a topic that was so far off the radar, so far out in left field, so NOT remotely to do with farming or chickens or growing gardens or making hay. It is deeply philosophical, political, legal, and not something that many of us give thought to.

I have GOT to quit grabbing random books at the library. This is what happens to me!

I appreciate the open door policy that most of you seem willing to take. As for me, I'm always up for a good, meaty debate, something to get my teeth into (are Chanteclers real or imagined? Surprised ) I guess I will have to think on it. And hope that if I DO wade in, that you don't all roll your eyes, groan and tell your friends that Uno is a schmuck.

18Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Post what you like! If I don't like it I don't have to read it. As with any group of friends.... we vent, gossip and chat about life in general. I am more than my chickens! Ok at the moment we are just a little chicken obsessed, make that poultry obsessed! My "spare" bedroom now is home to a dozen 5 week old layers, 24 3 day old Blue, black, splash and buff Orpingtons and one darling white call duck with a broken leg (splinted) that I am "duck sitting" while a friend is on vacation. I love that this is a place where we can express joy, sorrow, frustration and celebrate each other's quirks! POST AWAY!

19Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

1. I thought everything related to chickens.

2. Don't worry about people responding. Sometimes people miss the post. Sometimes people don't know what to say. Sometimes there is nothing to add.

20Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Don't concern yourself with what other people think. They don't do it very often.

21Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Darn it Uno. I know and feel what you are talking about. That thing about making a post, and no one responds, I get that happening too. Sometimes I make a very lengthy post and all I get back is like one word in a response or just an emoticon. I have learned to accept it. Kind of sad, but oh well, sometimes people read and have nothing to say in a response. There are sites where there is a box that shows how many times the topic has been viewed, not sure if that is available here. But bet your bottom dollar, about 90% of us or more read your threads, with interest, some may like the post, some may not. Do you remember that quote from Dr. Suess "those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter"? One of the most true little things I have read. You are loved my girl. I read all of your posts. I am a culprit in not replying to a good many of them, but I read them. I love your posts, do not ever stop being you, girl. and I am a firm believer that diversity makes this world a most interesting place. Bring on your weird and wonderful posts, no matter how obscure, odd, strange, interesting, you name it, those descriptions could go on and on and on. Share yourself. Placing fingers on keyboard and letting them fly with thoughts, from deep in the mind, to the very shallow in the mind need to come out. This is how we relax, some of us, letting those words out and allowing others to read what we say. Don't type it all out then delete, now that is counterproductive Rolling Eyes  . Uno, bring your posts, all of them, you can talk about anything here, my permission ROTFLMAO!

If someone doesn't like what you are saying, pass on by, don't continue to read, that is choice, and life is full of choices. Bring on those weird Uno posts that you are unsure about posting!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

22Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You won't spoil the party, Uno. The way I look at it is if no one responds, they just have nothing to say...or they are busy and they missed it. It has happened to me many a time and it doesn't bother me. If it is important, I will go bump it, but is I see people have read and not responded, perhaps there was no need to. Que sera sera!

I am off to bump an important post now... At least one to me.

23Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am

I think "general chatting" includes things that are non-chicken as well.

24Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

As for the not responding thing, I know for myself, sometimes I feel a post is quite profound and as much as I enjoy reading and thinking about it, I feel my response would be trivial in comparison. You put so much thought and effort into your posts uno, sometimes I just need to read and think. (And I read every one of your posts- look forward to them) Smile

25Heavy, serious topics Empty Re: Heavy, serious topics Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:1. I thought everything related to chickens.

2. Don't worry about people responding.  Sometimes people miss the post.  Sometimes people don't know what to say.  Sometimes there is nothing to add.

THIS. Especially number 1. Razz 

I think it's pretty obvious most of us enjoy chatting about chickens, or about chicken related activities. I also find the multitude of other topics on this forum refreshing and thought provoking, and enjoy reading what everyone thinks about things. Or what's happening in their lives. I may not always respond in written words, due to time, or feeling like I don't have anything relevant to add - and sometimes my thoughts are better left inside my head. affraid lol

Personally uno, I don't think the party would be the same without your funny/witty/intelligent/interesting/inspiring/stimulating posts.
So please do PARTY ON! cheers Bananacheers

Last edited by Flicker Chick on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling, it's always the spelling!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum