Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2 white peachicks out of Indian Blue parents

+4
boothcreek
loushrop
Dan Smith
Prairie Chick
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I had 7 peachicks hatch yesterday and there are 2 whites out of Indian Blue parents.  Is this normal?  I really would love to have pied, wish they were pied.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They sure resemble turkey chicks at this age ? Maybe someday I'll get a few Crying or Very sad

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't know anything about Pea Fowl but if they carry the recessive blue gene that chickens carry then it makes sence because when you breed blue to blue you can get 50% blue and 25% splash which hatches yellow and as they get older they get the splash marks on them . I am sure that I am wrong but just wanted to put it out there.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dan Smith wrote:

I don't know anything about Pea Fowl but if they carry the recessive blue gene that chickens carry then it makes sence because when you breed blue to blue you can get 50% blue and 25% splash which hatches yellow and as they get older they get the splash marks on them . I am sure that I am wrong but just wanted to put it out there.

No Dan Indian Blue peafowl aren't the same as blue chickens.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:They sure resemble turkey chicks at this age ? Maybe someday I'll get a few Crying or Very sad
They do look like poults except they don't have the nub on their foreheads

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is so neat ! I love white peacocks!! Lou

boothcreek

they could be black shouldered blues too, mine always hatched pure yellow but the flights with them generally come in reddish. But its been years since I had peachicks.......

http://www.boothcreekranch.com

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats Val
Look good One day we will have them
its about time EH

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Chick wrote:  I really would love to have pied, wish they were pied.

You could dye them!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great idea Sue! cheers 

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

One white peachick could be a sport, but with two cuties I'd guess both parents are carriers of recessive white. Question 

Schipperkesue wrote:
Prairie Chick wrote:  I really would love to have pied, wish they were pied.

You could dye them!

Instead of pied, you could have tie dyed! Razz

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

boothcreek wrote:they could be black shouldered blues too, mine always hatched pure yellow but the flights with them generally come in reddish. But its been years since I had peachicks.......

Thanks boothcreek, I was looking for that kind of info Very Happy 

Iceman

Your Blues could also be the offspring of a pair of Pied's. When you breed pieds you get pied, white and dark pied. The dark pied looks identical to blues except for a few white feathers in their chest area and white flight feathers. Crossing dark pieds will result in blues 75% of the time and Whites 25% of the time. All will cary the pied gene.
If you cross the Whites with the dark pieds you will get 25% pied, 25% white and 50% dark pied

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Iceman, I will keep my eyes open for some white feathers on these guys.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are white feathers on a couple of the chicks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum