Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today, we have 5!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Today, we have 5! Empty Today, we have 5! Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

niglefritz

Our very first hatch! cheers 

Today, we counted 2, 3, 4...no...5 BCM, and one empty keet shell (so sad...it is gone).

We thought all was lost and were no longer waiting for babies, but were thinking of cleaning up the nest boxes to try again. I am so glad that we didn't! They are happily catching mosquitoes and cuddling under mom silkie.

My oldest came and excitedly bounce (this x 100) announced that we had 2. I went out with her to see, and when she slowly and gently lifted the new mom up, out popped out the rest, one by one. Chick Help  Three are darker overall...is this the indicator of being boy/girl or can it also be an indicator of blue or black coppers or splash? How do I tell what is what...wait until they feather out?

She went back to sit on the other eggs. Is it possible that she will hatch out any more in the next day?

Anyway, rejoicing here. It is always nice to see new ones.

2Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats! That's exciting! Smile I love how little peeps will hide within mama hen's feathers. So cute!
If blue, black and splash, you should be able to tell which is which by chick down colour. Black will be the darkest and look black, usually with yellow markings; blue will appear silvery, could be either light or dark, and also with yellow markings; and splash will look buttery/yellow and be the lightest of the bunch. And I would definitely leave her be, just in case more try to hatch. bounce

3Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 am

niglefritz

Okay. I checked this morning, and since they were running around off the nest, I could see...there is one more. The new one is certainly lighter than the rest, but not so silvery like the pictures that I found. The darkest ones certainly do look black. bounce bounce bounce cheers 

So...I guess that I need to figure out what the other 3 are then. By your description, I am wondering if there are then 2 blue and one splash. I will have to see if I can get a picture of all of them. It will be easier than trying to figure it all out while they are running around and/or hiding. lol I really don't want to handle them too much.

4Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:52 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yay for another one! Mama hen knew exactly what she was doing staying on that nest. Very Happy  And pics would be great. We all looooove pics here. Baby Chick

5Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations!!! cheers  So exciting! Good for mama hen and good for you!

6Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 am

niglefritz

Well, we went out and checked them, and to the best of our knowledge, we have 3 black pullets, 1 blue pullet, two blue cockerels, and 0 splash. We were hoping for one black cockerel, but are still pleased with what we have. I find it interesting that she hatched out only marans and no LB. On the other hand, to be fair, the hens took what they liked to some extent. We have one hen still sitting, and she took the remainder of the eggs in that nest and rolled them up and over a ledge, over to her nest, up another ledge and they are now under her. She has too many now in my opinion, but we are happy to let her sit and see what might come of it all. She seems to be covering all of them... Hens can be funny things. Laughing 

We also have a nice bundle of tiny muscovies just hatched (8 so far that we found). It is like Christmas...all at the same time. Very Happy 

7Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:41 pm

foal0069

Congrats Laurie. So glad you were able to hatch out the marans. How do you know they are pullets at this age?
Holly
Congrats 

8Today, we have 5! Empty Re: Today, we have 5! Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 pm

niglefritz

We found instructions online on how to properly feather sex them within the first 2 days. Time will tell if we did it right...the feathers on the wingtips are so very tiny. We were so surprised that they were no heavier than a cotton ball. lol We didn't want to hurt them and hoped that they would not get too stressed, since this our first time with such very young ones. They are still perky and running around, so I guess we did okay.

Here was the best explanation (with pictures) that we found:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have fun when you try it. It is interesting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum