Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A woman on the ranch

+9
pfarms
Dan Smith
Fowler
Ruffledfeathers
authenticfarm
Hidden River
Hillbilly
heda gobbler
coopslave
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A woman on the ranch Empty A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you are going to be the woman on the ranch, here are the top 10 "facts" you need to know!

1. Always load your horse last in the trailer so it is the first one
unloaded. By the time he's got his horse unloaded, you will have
your cinch pulled and be mounted up ready to go - lessening the
chance of him riding off without you with your horse trying to
follow while you are still trying to get your foot in the stirrup.

2. Never - and I repeat never - ever believe the phrase "We'll be
right back," when he has asked you to help him do something out on the ranch. The echoing words, "this will only take a little while" have filtered through generations of ranch wives and still today should invoke sincere distrust in the woman who hears them.

3. Always know there is NO romantic intention when he pleadingly asks you to take a ride in the pickup with him around the ranch while he checks waters and looks at cattle. What that sweet request really means is he wants someone to open and close the gates.

4. He will always expect you to quickly be able to find one stray in a four-section brush-covered pasture, but he will never be able to find the mayonnaise jar in four-square feet of refrigerator.

5. Count every head of everything you see - cattle especially, but
sometimes horses, deer, quail or whatever moves. Count it in the gate, out the gate or on the horizon. The first time you don't count is when he will have expected that you did. That blank eyelash-batting look you give him when he asks "How many?" will not be acceptable.

6. Know that you will never be able to ride a horse or drive a pickup to suit him. Given the choice of jobs, choose throwing the feed off the back of the pickup. If he is on the back and you are driving, the opportunity for constant criticism of speed, ability and your eyesight will be utilized to the full extent. "How in the *@*# could you NOT see that hole?"

7. Never let yourself be on foot in the alley when he is sorting cattle horseback. When he has shoved 20 head of running, bucking, kicking yearlings at you and then hollers "Hold 'em, hold 'em" at the top of his lungs, don't think that you really can do it without loss of life or limb. Contrary to what he will lead you to believe, walking back to the house is always an option that has been used throughout time.

8. Don't expect him to correctly close the snap-on tops on the plastic refrigerator containers, but know he will expect you to always close every gate. His reasoning, the cows will get out; the food will not.

9. Always praise him when he helps in the kitchen - the very same way he does when you help with the ranch work - or not.

10. Know that when you step out of the house you move from the "wife" department to "hired hand" status. Although the word "hired" indicates there will be a paycheck that you will never see, rest assured you will have job security. The price is just right. And most of the time you will be "the best help he has" even if it is because you are the ONLY help he has.

The option in #7 has been used effectively many times here. He as learned to appreciate my help, and be thankful for it (most of the time), when he has been left with a two person job all by himself!

2A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Perfect! I would add that one of my pet peeves is coming home after a long day (on my ranch) and DH says "oh good, I was waiting for you to help me move this thing". It is usually an enormously heavy log or large machinery part which as a woman I feel I am ill equipped to lift. But lift it I must - and somehow the heavy end....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love when we both come home after a long, very hard day in which we worked shoulder to shoulder and he has the nerve to say 'What's for supper?' Sheesh......

4A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh that's been beaten out of mine...

5A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 3:24 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I need to take notes......

6A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

...I need to take bigger notes....

7A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like #2 and #6, can totally relate to those.
And yes Coopslave my hubby has learned that when I have put in a full day here at the farm and he is at work all day he better not dare ask what is for supper....

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bahahahaha!

When I cook, I cook enough for a minimum of two meals, and often for three meals - so the baby and I can eat it for lunch the next day, in addition to the whole family eating it twice.

Works well for me - fewer incidences of cooking is less dishes. I don't have a dishwasher, so this is an important factor for me.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

9A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

#6 is our favorite. I love it! and if its me driving I usually get a really good laugh Laughing

10A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love it!

I would add that a romantic evening drive around the farm means that he needs someone to hold the flashlight.

11A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 11:32 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Coopslave , you make me laugh although what is scary is that this is not a joke and you have probably hit the nail square on the head.

12A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Most are so true here.

As for the cooking one, well, he stopped doing that to me when I started to reply with "What ever you can find to feed yourself".

The one that annoys me most, and is always an issue is "it will only take a minute" or "be right back". Either of those being uttered means hours around here.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

13A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I really have to say this thread is "PRICELESS", because it's sooooo true. lol!

14A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 2:53 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

As a guy, I will admit there is some truth in some of those and say that I am wise enough to not post the guys version.

15A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coward!!

16A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have no comments. At my place, as far as 'farming' goes, I am the husband. Except I also do all the cooking, cleaning and yardwork.

Doug even moaned about helping to get the sheep in the barn on Monday. It was a little cold that day.

17A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

18A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's called a great partnership and a great marriage. Congrats. cheers

19A woman on the ranch Empty Re: A woman on the ranch Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 am