Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Making friends with ducks

+2
SerJay
Hillbilly
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Making friends with ducks Empty Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 8:25 am

Hmm... I'm going to keep that title in mind.

Anyway.

Moose (NOT SWEETENED, just sayin' here), bought ducks on the weekend at the auction, and boy was he proud of those things. He specifically spotted them at the auction and wrote down the lot number, taking note of exactly which cage. He was down in the ring when he bid on them to make sure he got the right pair and everything!

I have to say, they are lovely little call ducks.

However, I'm surprised they aren't dead, to be honest.

Our breeding pens have about a 70% cement floor, the rest is dirt and straw, and one of said pens was unoccupied -- soooo, I found a shallow container we had and made a pond for them on the cement and set up a nest and covered it so it was super secret, and put food down and so on.

Those ducks go -NUTS- when you walk in the coop. Absolutely ape. They fly themselves into the chicken wire that is the pen, climb it screaming, even squeeze themselves through the one really small section where I need to put another zippy tie. I'm afraid they'll break their necks one of these times.

You befriend chickens with corn and whole grains and lentils, in my experience. What do you befriend ducks with?

2Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 9:09 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

a wascawwy wabbit

3Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 am

Hillbilly wrote:a wascawwy wabbit

I has wabbits....

4Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

stay low and slow. I only have big ducks but this is what I do. Bring treats like cut up strawberries, strawberry tops, spinach, romaine or other green leafy stuff, watermelon (don't throw those rinds away!) most of your fruit and veggies but the ones I listed will be favs and will make you a welcome visitor Very Happy Oh mine love dandelions too

5Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

They obviously were not handled much by their previous owner so you will need to take time. Our call ducks are super sweet, but my girls are in there almost daily. One thing you can do is clip one wing so they cannot take flight and hurt themselves. After their next molt they will have all their feathers back so not to worry.

You may have to just sit in there and let them get used to you, feed them some corn or lettuce and eventually they will be much tamer for you.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have been wondering about this a bit lately.
I am down to my birds a few times a day. I sit with both the older bird and they young ones. I will spend up to an hour twice a day with the growing, flock replacements so they are used to me and my moving about. I talk to them and make noises so they get comfortable with all that. They are great with me and climb on me.
This is where I think some of the trouble can come from. I am the ONLY one they ever see or have contact with. If my husband does come down to talk to me they can go crazy. He calls them skittery, but I think it is because they are only exposed to me and he is SCARY to them.
So this could be one of the things you are up against and once they become comfortable with you they will be ok.

7Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 9:05 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was going to suggest that you wiggle when you walk and quack low and slow Laughing

8Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ruffled you need to post a video showing that process exactly

9Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 am

SerJay wrote:Ruffled you need to post a video showing that process exactly

Agreed.

Laughing

10Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Thu May 09, 2013 7:39 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I found the key to winning over the ducks I had was a combination of patience and yummy treats. They had a real thing for fresh mushrooms, and I used that shamelessly. Before I rehomed them I had 3 out of 4 ducks willing to take mushrooms from my hand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sweetened wrote:
SerJay wrote:Ruffled you need to post a video showing that process exactly

Agreed.

Laughing

I concur! Razz

11Making friends with ducks Empty Re: Making friends with ducks Fri May 10, 2013 8:09 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was working feverishy at getting that video clip made than when I was stretching for my big opening act, and you'd never guess it but I blew out a wing Shocked so your going to have to wait patiently .....Laughing
scratch apparently you have to be really flexable to be a duck, who knew?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum