Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

broken egg with chick inside

+4
uno
Country Thyme Farm
Rasilon
vic's chicks
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1broken egg with chick inside Empty broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 am

vic's chicks

I have a few eggs under a broody ready to hatch in two days. I just happened to be there when she got off her nest this morning and noticed one that is badly broken. large pieces of shell missing. I can see the baby chick moving and breathing under the dried membrane. Should I try to end its life and how do i do that the most humanely. I am pretty sure nothing can be done to save it.

2broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

vic's chicks wrote:I have a few eggs under a broody ready to hatch in two days. I just happened to be there when she got off her nest this morning and noticed one that is badly broken. large pieces of shell missing. I can see the baby chick moving and breathing under the dried membrane. Should I try to end its life and how do i do that the most humanely. I am pretty sure nothing can be done to save it.

I would leave it if the membrane is not broken. Maybe it was due to hatch sooner.
Geri

3broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 am

You could pull the membrane open and see how bad off the baby is.

I have pre-maturely helped babies out of shells to find they had not absorbed the yolk. I leave them on their backs by themselves on soft bedding. They'll usually roll over and flop around for a while, but in 3 or 4 days they will have absorbed everything and be fine.

If the membrane is dry, I would suspect there is not blood flow to it.

Break it open and see if it can have a chance at life, otherwise it'll vacuum seal itself and suffocate.

If the chick isn't fully formed or looks off, do what you feel is best. With the distended yolk, like I said, I've giving a couple the chance and they've all turned out find.

4broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I helped some ducklings early this hatching season only to have to put every one of them down a month later. I say you either cull it or leave it to see if it hatches. I have had some eggs with small punctures or cracks develop and hatch just fine the odd time, nothing so extreme as what you're describing but you never know.

http://countrythyme.ca

5broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If the broken shell has pierced the chick and caused bleeding, that's a bad situation.

If the shell has not pierced the chick or membrane, there is hope.

I would not tear the membrane (sorry Squeetened) because there is lots of blood still running through those membrane veins. The blood does not pull into the chick until that chick is ready to hatch, so the chick can bleed to death if you tear the membrane.

What I would do is put a piece of ductape over the hole, try not to stick it to the chick, and cross your fingers. If there is no goo dripping out of the break, the chick should not get glued into his shell.

6broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 3:00 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HigginsRAT wrote:I have heard of people using crazy glue to seal up a cracked egg but this one sounds too far gone for just a crack (sounds shattered). I have never tried the crazy glue a crack thing and doubt I would figure any hatching egg would be so valuable as to warrant extremes like this. But never say never! No

I have misted with distilled water, a membrane that has had the shell come away before it should (some eggs feel more raw calcium like, it lacks that shiny glaze like surface, the rough and absorbant shells seem to crater like what you describe, not good!). Concept thinking of why to mist with distilled water; the membrane will dry out, shrink and encase the baby so it cannot move about and hatch properly. This is in artifical incubation moreso than a natural hatch. I expect that the hen will have some humidity off her body to keep the exposed membrane more pliable and moistened than in a forced air incubator.

I would mark this bird if it lives and maybe not use it to breed more from or not allow setty Moms to set on eggs that lack a slippery coating to avoid this maybe in future. Not saying the shell is more porous than others but it could well be why the shell busted...or even not thick enough too? Just some thoughts out there to think about to avoid seeing this happen again...frustrating!

Corn starch or wheat flour will stop some sorts of bleeding in all sorts of birds and animals . I keep a small canning jar with a lid on it in the Buster 'Bator area for just such emergencies. Also if I clip toe nails, and they bleed, dip drippy nail in a sandwich bag (flour or starch) held in the glass jar.

I agree that the membrane around the chick is potentially supplying the occupant with much needed blood supply and it is too early for it to have hatched out on its own as per how you have described the hatching egg looking.

**WARNING**
Potentially ignorant comments, funny to some, disturbing to most...stop reading if offended easily please...
**WARNING**

I find humour helps us when dealing with hiccups with living things we adore and love and want so desperately to LIVE long and happy lives. I love you

We, the caretakers feel responsible for allowing life to form and when things like this rotten incident during a chick hatching comes about, it can hit us to the very soul...so here is a bit of stupid fun in sic type humour for you and I hope I don't offend anyone but you bin warned... Twisted Evil

Not sure if I can say this as it sounds way ignorant (but funny...we try SO hard to allow things to live and no matter what, LIVEstock results in DEADstock). So I am feeling very wicked today and will just say it 'cause I have said this before and it's helped lighten the burden of life versus death. Sigh...

After dousing corn starch or flour on a premature hatched chick attempting to stop the oozing blood ... if the said chick don't make it...wait for it...you can always fire up the deep fryer and you are half way done regarding a simple preparation of crispy fried chick fer lunch! Suspect

Told you I was being way wicked today...can't help self...it's spring/summer and hatching season is durn near here for us! Yippee....Ya, and a TY YI YO!

OK...enough giddiness....I will promptly go crate myself now. What a Face

Tara

I will take a thigh

8broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

last week i was just sick as i dropped a egg by accident on the carpet, the eggs were in lockdown, it was severly cracked, part of the membrane was showing, i was going to just drown it in ice cold water but i decided to let it be, sure enuff it hatched into a healthy lil chick Smile its amazing what nature can withstand ... i would leave it. or if you can put it into a incubator where you can keep the humidity higher like 62% and see what happens...

Last edited by triplejfarms on Mon May 06, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

9broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 3:25 pm

uno wrote:If the broken shell has pierced the chick and caused bleeding, that's a bad situation.

If the shell has not pierced the chick or membrane, there is hope.

I would not tear the membrane (sorry Squeetened) because there is lots of blood still running through those membrane veins. The blood does not pull into the chick until that chick is ready to hatch, so the chick can bleed to death if you tear the membrane.

What I would do is put a piece of ductape over the hole, try not to stick it to the chick, and cross your fingers. If there is no goo dripping out of the break, the chick should not get glued into his shell.

Dont apologize Smile I mentioned it because she said it was drying on the chick. If it's dry, the blood vessels will have cut from it.

10broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm

vic's chicks

Glad i asked this . Some amazing answers. I had no idea you could help in so many ways. After posting this I went out to check on it and the hen had thrown it out onto the floor of the coop. It was dead. I was almost relieved that I didn't have to do it in myself. You spoke such true words Higgensrat, about how it feels. I am trying to be tougher and less emotional about things that happen with the chickens. I think humour does help. I have 10 EO eggs under another broody due to hatch on thursday. i hope all goes smooth and I won't have to try any of these suggestions.

11broken egg with chick inside Empty Re: broken egg with chick inside Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Mel

Checking eggs just before lockdown - of course I drop one - it lands on top of another egg - that one is fine but the one I drop is cracked now, grab the scotch tape and seal it up - 3 days later the little bugger hatches! Had to help a bit because of the tape but super healthy and strong. You never know..........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum