Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Squee! She who kids first....

+7
Arcticsun
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
pfarms
Blue Hill Farm
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My younger doe had two little kids today! A boy and a girl! I hope to have pictures tomorrow.

Now, this being only the second time I have kidded and last time was over a year ago, please refresh my memory...how soon can I worm mom and babies and what should I use? I have fenbendazole, eprinex and ivermectin (Noromectin injectable). I can also pick up something else if recommended. This pregnancy was hard on mom and though she is strong she is also a little skinny for my liking.

2Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

ah, and what does squee mean? I am sure Sweetened can enlighten us. Is that like a sound that a little piggy makes, like a squeal? Please tell. Anyways, beautiful that you had those twins, babies, oh babies are so cute, no matter the species. I even think some human kind kids are cute, not all, but some, most look like little old wrinkled men for the first couple of weeks Embarassed Shocked have beautiful days, CynthiaM.

3Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 7:14 am

I'm squeeing for you Sue, you lucky lady. Hopefully she didn't leave you hanging as long as my girl is LOL

Miss Cynthia, 'Squee' is the sound an excited me makes when I want to dance in place like a fairy and make a high pitched sound. That takes lots of happiness.

4Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 8:42 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats on the babies! Pics, pics!!! Razz

5Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You can deworm mom day she kids. Ivermec if you want, I know that one is safe. I also know quest (plain one, not plus) is safe. I am not sure about kids though.

Congrats, hope to see photos soon. I am loving my little kids!

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

6Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Also, for the skinnies (my first timer did the same thing) give molasses water. One cup molasses to two gallons water. Add molasses to her grain at milking time. Corn syrup works good too.

7Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 9:16 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

pfarms wrote:You can deworm mom day she kids. Ivermec if you want, I know that one is safe. I also know quest (plain one, not plus) is safe. I am not sure about kids though.

Congrats, hope to see photos soon. I am loving my little kids!

I would never advise the use of moxidectin (quest) for any animal. It's too easy to overdose and kill an animal by accident. The safety margin on moxidectin is only 1.5 - meaning if you accidentally give an extra 50% above the recommended dose, your animal is in trouble. Compare that to ivermectin, which has a saftey margin of 17, or something like a fenbendazole or pyrantel, which have safety margins so high, researchers had difficulty finding a level that would negatively effect an animal. It's not worth the risk, ever. Few people posess scales to accurately weigh and dose their animals, so it's better to just not use it.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

8Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congratulations! Looking forward to photos when the time is right!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too shall squeeeee for you!

I have a couple of areas I need grazed. Im thinking I many need to borrow a few of your burgoning population.

10Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love to get all this advice. So many titbits of info and so many unique perceptions. Thank-you.

I still need suggestions for worming the new kids, but thanks, PFarms and Authentic for your info.

I have used eprinex on adults before. Will it get the internal worms as well?

Arctic, I think I will buy a couple baby seats, load up the crew and come to visit.

11Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would never advise the use of moxidectin (quest) for any animal. It's too easy to overdose and kill an animal by accident. The safety margin on moxidectin is only 1.5 - meaning if you accidentally give an extra 50% above the recommended dose, your animal is in trouble. Compare that to ivermectin, which has a saftey margin of 17, or something like a fenbendazole or pyrantel, which have safety margins so high, researchers had difficulty finding a level that would negatively effect an animal. It's not worth the risk, ever. Few people posess scales to accurately weigh and dose their animals, so it's better to just not use it.

You can Use Quest it will work just fine
If you have Cydectin pour on you can use that also but the Pour on is Given oral not pour on.
Quest and Cydectin (the Purple stuff for Cattle) is what most Goat Breeders use. This is what we used in the Goat Dairy and is what most of the Dairy's use. They also use Ivomec given oral and also safeguard

Quest is 1cc per 100 pounds
the cydectin purple liquid is 1 cc per 20 pounds
If you have a weight tape you can get pretty close on the Moms weight.

12Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 10:49 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Arctic, I think I will buy a couple baby seats, load up the crew and come to visit.

Ha, ha. That's hilarious. Congrats Sue. Sorry, no experience. But one day, I hope!

13Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Weight tapes are notoriously inaccurate, regardless of animal.

After Quest came out (1997) and was supposed to be the latest and greatest thing, there were a large number of deaths and serious illnesses of miniature horses because people were overdosing them with Quest by simply overestimating their weights - and by not researching the product before they used it.

I would NEVER use Quest on ANY animal, and especially not on a smaller animal where the margin for error is SO small. You can cause neurological problems, abortions and death.

Ideally, with any animal, you would do fecal testing first to see if you do, in fact, have a worm problem. I know one farm who ONLY uses ivermectin in conjunction with fecal testing, have done so for years, and have not had a problem.

If you still insist on using a moxidectin (Quest), NEVER feed it from the tube, where your only safety feature is a twistable plastic ring that is nowhere near fail-safe - if that ring slips, you've killed your animal. Dispense it into a small syringe that contains ONLY the dosage for ONE animal - and be damn sure you've weighed that animal on a calibrated scale first.

Here's an informative paper from Purdue University on deworming and parasites in sheep and goats: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting to note that neither moxidection nor ivermectin is currently approved for use in goats - so you should talk to your veterinarian to get the correct dosage (not the same as on the label, and varies depending on whether the product is liquid or paste) as using either of those products would be off-label use.

The paper also recommends deworming momma goats one week after kidding.

14Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not going to turn Sue's Good News into a Argument thread which is what you always seem to do with most of the posters But I am speaking from over 25 years Experience with goats And just like most Poultry most drugs are not approved for different species
Sue here is a page that has alot of the wormer information from Professional goat breeders
Hope this will help you decide
as Like I said I will not turn this post into a who can piss more post
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for worming the does after kidding sue if you want more websites from Professional people in goats I can provide them for you where they all say worm after kids are born and these are people that are getting big money for their goats.

Hope to see pics
Joe

15Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 12:12 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Congratulations! Baby goats are so fun. We use Ivermectin orally after they kid, and wait until about 2 months old to worm the kids. I will take a couple of calcium tablets and break them open over the grain for a new mom if she looks like she could use a calcium boost. I buy the Coral Calcium from Okinawa for myself and that's what I use.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

16Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 12:13 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Forgot to add
Most Goat People will worm the Kids the first time anytime over 20 days old usually with safe guard for the first worming
if you want I can send a site for that also

17Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 12:32 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:I am not going to turn Sue's Good News into a Argument thread which is what you always seem to do with most of the posters But I am speaking from over 25 years Experience with goats And just like most Poultry most drugs are not approved for different species
Sue here is a page that has alot of the wormer information from Professional goat breeders
Hope this will help you decide
as Like I said I will not turn this post into a who can piss more post
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for worming the does after kidding sue if you want more websites from Professional people in goats I can provide them for you where they all say worm after kids are born and these are people that are getting big money for their goats.

Hope to see pics
Joe

The page you linked to basically agrees with the information I gave - ie. use only under advisement from a veterinarian, get a fecal egg count before you do anything, be very careful on dosing with moxidectin/quest.

Thanks for backing me up. Wink

18Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

You will Try any thing for a argument The site does not back up what you said at all
it is written by a lady Named Vicki that raise's Goats not by a vet
Her is what she said
several of the listings and doses here are being used Off Script/Extra Label.....(which basically means it should be only given under the advisement of a licensed veterinarian).
That way she does not leave herself open for repercussions and people trying to cause problems because she said to use it.
I see You have cattle you dont have Goats do you ?
and when you get poultry rember that most of the drugs that are used for Poultry are not approved either but people use them with great results
Sorry for the Post take over sue but I am alot like you when I know something and someone that does not know something tries to act Like they do I will defend myself

To keep on Topic Where are the Pics

19Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 1:23 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hey, where are the pic's at? We have waited a whole 12 hours!!! Come on Sue! LOL... I hope they are up and running around. It is so fun to watch the new little ones!

Sorry to have started an argument. Quest was recommended by my vet and if dosed properly is a great asset. If in doubt about any medication usage, dosage, and timing, call a vet.

We need photos! What breed do you have anyway?

20Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:You will Try any thing for a argument The site does not back up what you said at all
it is written by a lady Named Vicki that raise's Goats not by a vet
Her is what she said
several of the listings and doses here are being used Off Script/Extra Label.....(which basically means it should be only given under the advisement of a licensed veterinarian).
That way she does not leave herself open for repercussions and people trying to cause problems because she said to use it.
I see You have cattle you dont have Goats do you ?
and when you get poultry rember that most of the drugs that are used for Poultry are not approved either but people use them with great results
Sorry for the Post take over sue but I am alot like you when I know something and someone that does not know something tries to act Like they do I will defend myself

To keep on Topic Where are the Pics

You might have me mixed up with someone else - I rarely argue on WCPS (you can go back and look at my past posts). When I do, it's because it's something that matters to me. Moxidectin is something I am passionate about educating people about. So we may be just touching on each others' sore spots, here. Bygones?

I have had goats in the past. Been awhile, but I am not without experience. I had pygmies.

I also demand pictures! There are few things cuter than baby goats.

21Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sat May 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

No worries about arguments. I like a lively exchange of ideas from civilized people.

I have pictures on the phone and will be posting soon. I just made a 2 hour round trip to meet Jayme and get a new drake. You are a peach, Jayme. Thanks for the ride!

Oops...now I am hijacking my own posts!

22Squee!  She who kids first.... Empty Re: Squee! She who kids first.... Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congrats on the new kids..... i know nothing about goats but with the horses we worm with Ivomec in the first 24 hours,then Strongid once a month til 6 months then Ivomec every 2 months til a year old. At a year we go on the schedule and rotation of our adult horses. Good luck and I hope Momma goat has gained a bit of weight!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum