Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weighing in on your garden

+6
Rasilon
KatuskiFarms
SucellusFarms
Ruffledfeathers
uno
Bowker Acres
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am

I;m so desperate for my farm to start 'producing', I've started keeping track of eggs since April 15th. LOL. I dumped some 3.5 year old, badly stored tomato seeds into a flat of peat to see how many would germinate. All of them did, about 80 seeds or so. -wowza-. I'm going to separate them all and put them into dirt containers to sell, methinks!

27Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:I was hoping someone would be interested in participating in this with me!

This year, I want to get a sense of what my gardens produce and what I can/should do with the yield. Each harvest, I want to take record of how many oz. or lbs. of each piece of produce I take in. I will also include egg tracking effective May 1st (since I'm way behind on that, and won't be keeping more eggs for hatching at that point.

Anyone interested in participating?

Of course, this is all if the snow ever leaves me.

I was thinking of making a spreadsheet to track the production of each plant and the chickens. The garden spreadsheet will be cross referenced with a garden plot to find the best areas and light exposure for each plant for best production. The chicken tracking will be just for me because my sister in law turned me into a spreadsheet nerd. I'll try to find my scale too as counts won't work well for things like green beans. So yeah, I'm in.

28Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 am

This is awesome!

I love seeing how organized people are while others, like me, are just willy nilly about it. Sweeeeet

29Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:52 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:This is awesome!

I love seeing how organized people are while others, like me, are just willy nilly about it. Sweeeeet

call me willy Laughing

30Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am tentatively in on this. We will have roughly 5 acres in herbs and vegetables this year, and the plan is to record weekly harvests. But every year the plan is to record everything, and it seems to be one of the first things that goes to the wayside! So far this year, I've kept on top of egg records since Jan 1st, so we'll see.

http://countrythyme.ca

31Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 am

Country Thyme Farm wrote:I am tentatively in on this. We will have roughly 5 acres in herbs and vegetables this year, and the plan is to record weekly harvests. But every year the plan is to record everything, and it seems to be one of the first things that goes to the wayside! So far this year, I've kept on top of egg records since Jan 1st, so we'll see.

Oh that's awesome, glad to have you in on this!

32Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Update - straw is good to grow! Lol Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

KatuskiFarms wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Note: I am only doing this because I have no info on how the wheat straw was sprayed and handled by the farmer.

Another common new problem is herbicide contaminated manure. Many chemicals are sold as effective for several seasons after one spray. Cows/horses/sheep graze on these pastures and poop out herbicide that a gardener unknowingly spreads on their garden. Guess what? All you'll be able to grow there is grass afterwards for several seasons. Some garden plants are more sensitive than others.

Update
Here are squash, peas, tomatoes sprouting in my control group ( paper towel) and test group (straw). I feel satisfied with results. Grain farmer friend said that wheat finished with Latrell would show because peas are very sensitive.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

33Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 am

That's awesome news. I will be germination testing next year.

Beginning April 15th, Ending April 20th (so just shy of an actual week), results below

Item This Week Last Week Total
Eggs 111 N/A 111

Last edited by Sweetened on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

34Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:22 am

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have already harvested 3 large salads from the lettuce in the greenhouse. I have no idea what it weighed, but that counts, right! I wish the whole thing was full of lettuce instead of flowers for the town. Next year, I am putting and end to the flowers and growing more food!!!

35Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

I'm going to try and keep track too! I've had two gardening seasons so far where I live now, and the first was much better than the second - however I had a baby in July, so the garden didn't get the attention it deserved during prime growing time. I'm bad for keeping track of things - my goal is to provide the bulk of the veggies for my family.

In order to do that, I found that growing variety is as important as quantity - keeps things interesting in January! I have a small root cellar, and I focus on growing as many root-cellar appropriate things as possible, since canning is energy intensive (for the stove, for me!). I like root cellaring because you can pack it and that's it! I keep taters (4 kinds), celeriac, carrots, two kinds of beets, onions, and rutabaga. This year, I'm adding sunchokes and winter radishes. I grow kale and swiss chard as "frosty-greens", since they last longer into the fall then other greens. Freeze a few summer favourites (green beens, peas, corn), can tomatoes (plain and as ketchup, salsa) and we're good to go for the winter. I'm a BIG root cellaring advocate! Very Happy

36Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Prairie_Crocus wrote:I'm going to try and keep track too! I've had two gardening seasons so far where I live now, and the first was much better than the second - however I had a baby in July, so the garden didn't get the attention it deserved during prime growing time. I'm bad for keeping track of things - my goal is to provide the bulk of the veggies for my family.

In order to do that, I found that growing variety is as important as quantity - keeps things interesting in January! I have a small root cellar, and I focus on growing as many root-cellar appropriate things as possible, since canning is energy intensive (for the stove, for me!). I like root cellaring because you can pack it and that's it! I keep taters (4 kinds), celeriac, carrots, two kinds of beets, onions, and rutabaga. This year, I'm adding sunchokes and winter radishes. I grow kale and swiss chard as "frosty-greens", since they last longer into the fall then other greens. Freeze a few summer favourites (green beens, peas, corn), can tomatoes (plain and as ketchup, salsa) and we're good to go for the winter. I'm a BIG root cellaring advocate! Very Happy

Wow! I'd love to see your garden and your root cellar. Love visiting the plots of others as I ALWAYs walk away with lots of new knowledge!
Love it!

37Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm

I would also love to root cellar, my basement works well, but not when it's even remotely warm. I would love to do something like put a shipping container underground for storage purposes.

Here's an update!

Item This Week Last week Week Total
Eggs 118 111 229

38Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie_Crocus wrote:I'm going to try and keep track too! I've had two gardening seasons so far where I live now, and the first was much better than the second - however I had a baby in July, so the garden didn't get the attention it deserved during prime growing time. I'm bad for keeping track of things - my goal is to provide the bulk of the veggies for my family.

In order to do that, I found that growing variety is as important as quantity - keeps things interesting in January! I have a small root cellar, and I focus on growing as many root-cellar appropriate things as possible, since canning is energy intensive (for the stove, for me!). I like root cellaring because you can pack it and that's it! I keep taters (4 kinds), celeriac, carrots, two kinds of beets, onions, and rutabaga. This year, I'm adding sunchokes and winter radishes. I grow kale and swiss chard as "frosty-greens", since they last longer into the fall then other greens. Freeze a few summer favourites (green beens, peas, corn), can tomatoes (plain and as ketchup, salsa) and we're good to go for the winter. I'm a BIG root cellaring advocate! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Now thats something I never thought about. Thanks for the noodle scratcher. I was going with the freezing method, I don't can well actually I can't can. Its snowing here right now Suspect my bottom lip is dragging on the floor

39Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

KatuskiFarms wrote:

Wow! I'd love to see your garden and your root cellar. Love visiting the plots of others as I ALWAYs walk away with lots of new knowledge!
Love it!

Message me if you're coming through SW Saskatchewan in the fall. My root cellar is small, but it works well. I pack the veggies in damp peat moss in 5-gallon buckets, and then stack them 2-high. Alot of food in a tight space. Not much to look at, but your really don't need alot of space. I recommend reading "Root Cellaring" by Mike and Nancy Bubel. They have some good plans for someone who wants to build and also good ideas for using existing space in your average home.

AND - Sweetened, how many hens to you have laying? Were they laying all winter, or just coming back into lay now?

40Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 pm

Ooo oo, depending where in south west sask you are, perhaps I could come see as well! Sorry to invite myself. I have that book on my Amazon wish list!

As for the girls, I have about 40 laying hens, soon to be reduced a bit while some of the little ones grow out. They laid all winter, not every day, but I had 8-10 a day in the worst weather in the worst light, and I didn't supplement them with lighting at all. I want my girls to have that down time if they need it and to keep hens willing to lay in the winter times.

The numbers should be more prolific, I have stars marked for days with broken eggs. I have a banty that'll be hitting the dirt very soon for her unbreakable egg eating habit.

41Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

That's about the same size as my flock - I'd say I'm getting a comparable number of eggs. I use lighting in the winter to encourage winter laying, since most of my egg sales are in the winter (I take them to the curling rink - captive customers!). However, I've found that the forced winter laying results in some pretty ragged worn out hens in the spring. A few are running so low that I usually loose a few in April. They are starting to look alot better now!

And - I am about an hour N of Swift Current. Garden lovers are always welcome to visit!

42Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Planted some potatoes, peas, beets and what I think are radish seeds. I ended up with 2 unmarked jars of seeds, I can't even begin to remember what the other jars might be. Also sowed the 10 Broccoli seeds Swamp Hen sent me.

Item This Week Last Tally Total
Eggs 154 229 383

43Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am

Boy did I fall off the band wagon or what. I'll restart again June 1st I suppose.

44Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well thats not too bad I so far only have 2 tomato plants planted, Laughing I think I am going to be lacking in this years weigh in, oops. I did have a really nice Ton turkey that we ate for monday dinner that weighed in at 15.2lbs? Does that count?

45Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 8:08 am

Ruffledfeathers wrote:Well thats not too bad I so far only have 2 tomato plants planted, Laughing I think I am going to be lacking in this years weigh in, oops. I did have a really nice Ton turkey that we ate for monday dinner that weighed in at 15.2lbs? Does that count?

Why not! Might as well Very Happy

I have 2 Sweet 100 cherry tomato plants I bought planted, and 3 Silvery Fir Tree plant starts that are all less than an inch tall. My 6.5 week old starts are uselessly pitiful, guess I'm going to find out if I can plant from seed eh? Apperently, there are a people in this area that plant from seed every year and yield well, new moon in June or some such. We sure are going to find out...

I need a green house ready for fall, but I don't think that'll be happening for a couple more years =/. I'm frustrated and disappointed with myself.

46Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Sweetened I know that feeling all to well. I haven't got my deer fence up around my garden yet nor did I get my green house yet but maybe with a stroke of luck I will have something happen, or maybe I will just sit here and b!t*h about how it never happened Laughing . Its been storming here all week so it kind of slowed down my progress of finsihing the back porch and getting more fence up for my cows..... and so on.

47Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think I'm actually 'in' this experiment, but I do have my garden in. Such as it is. IT looks like Fort Knox. Everything is wired and netted and wrapped. As for being aesthetically pleasing, nope, not even a bit looking like that. I have black garbage bags flapping on poles to act as scarecrows. There is nothing attractive about a black garbage bag, no matter how you present it. (maybe I should add a bow made of dried grass and some pinecones?)

This year I tried to invent my own seedtape. Using flour and water made a paste and glued spinach seeds to a length of toilet paper, at intervals where thinning would not be an issue. Buried this in a trench, covered, watered. This does not seem to have worked. The toilet paper floated up out of the dirt with the next watering now it looks like someone used my planter box for a toilet. Withered bits of toilet paper here and there. Ick. And I don't think those seeds germinated. Maybe I used too high of quality toilet paper?

But all my ghastly expensive gladiola bulbs have sprouted. Hope deer don't eat them since there is no way to wrap them. Peas up, squash up. Tomaotes planted but looking grumpy. Good old nasturtium seeds popping up. Gordon bless the nasturtiums.

Oh..Sweetened, about burying a shipping container..they are very strong to weight from above, but not so strong to weight from the sides. A buried sea can would require heavy duty reinforcement on the sides to withstand being backfilled against. It can be done, but with extra oomph added. Have you seen where people bury a bus in a side hill, leaving the door exposed and use that as an undergroud bunker/container? The whacky things people do!

48Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:
Ruffledfeathers wrote:Well thats not too bad I so far only have 2 tomato plants planted, Laughing I think I am going to be lacking in this years weigh in, oops. I did have a really nice Ton turkey that we ate for monday dinner that weighed in at 15.2lbs? Does that count?

Why not! Might as well Very Happy

I have 2 Sweet 100 cherry tomato plants I bought planted, and 3 Silvery Fir Tree plant starts that are all less than an inch tall. My 6.5 week old starts are uselessly pitiful, guess I'm going to find out if I can plant from seed eh? Apperently, there are a people in this area that plant from seed every year and yield well, new moon in June or some such. We sure are going to find out...

I need a green house ready for fall, but I don't think that'll be happening for a couple more years =/. I'm frustrated and disappointed with myself.

PM me and I can talk greenhouse with you when I have some breathing room after these next couple markets. I can give you some pointers on building a greenhouse super cheap.

As a sidenote, I can already tell I'll fall short on record keeping, the bump on this thread reminds me:

2 pound nettles, 2 pound chives, 1 pound sorrel from the gardens so far, If I can just find time somewhere to finish seeding this damned grain I think we'll finally start catching up on our planting. We finally caved and hired a hand for a couple days a week and she sure has been a life saver!

http://countrythyme.ca

49Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 am

Country Thyme Farm wrote:PM me and I can talk greenhouse with you when I have some breathing room after these next couple markets. I can give you some pointers on building a greenhouse super cheap.

As a sidenote, I can already tell I'll fall short on record keeping, the bump on this thread reminds me:

2 pound nettles, 2 pound chives, 1 pound sorrel from the gardens so far, If I can just find time somewhere to finish seeding this damned grain I think we'll finally start catching up on our planting. We finally caved and hired a hand for a couple days a week and she sure has been a life saver!

Grats on your harvests! PM Inco,ming.

50Weighing in on your garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Weighing in on your garden Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Item This Week Last Tally Total
Eggs (Chicken) 116 0 116
Eggs (Guinea) 2 0 2
Eggs (Turkey) 4 0 4
Lamb Quarters (oz.) 2.1 0 2.1
Radish (oz. with greens) 3.2 0 3.2
Spinach (oz.) (Chicken) 1.2 0 1.2

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum