Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Looking for blue and/or black orpington-type birds. They need to have the some defects, which is why I say orpington-type. I like the orpington weight and size.

Looking for rose, pea, strawberry, walnut, very small single or cushion combs; Leg colour can also be wrong; Feathering can be too tight.

If you have barn yard layers, preferably orpington mixes (exceptional if you know what else they're mixed with), or orpingtons that just aren't up to par, please post pictures here with your price and/or email me with pictures and prices at mrichardson.contact AT gmail.com. Interested in hens and the right rooster, if it strikes me.

Thanks.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

A while back I breed my black orp Roo with my Silver laced wyandotte hens I had at the time, this was a few years back, April 2011.
The result was a Black Orpington type bird with a rose comb. I didn't keep these birds and sold them a few weeks after these pics were taken.

I think an Orp/Wyandotte cross could be what you are after. ?

Here are some pics of the chicks I hatched out.

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SSA55538

a pair
Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SSA55539

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SSA55543

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SSA55560

Hi Johnny, these are very much what I'm after. I have a bit of a project going on, so I'm really after the the body shape and meat quality of the orps and other larger bodied breeds, but the colour is absolutely important, as well as the smaller combs.

Keep me in mind in the future if you do something like this again, hmm?

I'm jealous!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Sweetened,

I will for sure keep you in mind. I am not sure as to when I will ever have Wyandottes again, perhaps once I move to my own acreage and can expand my operation and breed choices.

What project are you working on right now, what breeds or is it top secret?

Jonny Anvil wrote:Hey Sweetened,

I will for sure keep you in mind. I am not sure as to when I will ever have Wyandottes again, perhaps once I move to my own acreage and can expand my operation and breed choices.

What project are you working on right now, what breeds or is it top secret?

I'll talk to you about it. I'll send a PM in a bit.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, mine don't have orpington in them, but they have smooth combs and big bodies. They are PChant x Marans. The feathering will be tighter and the eggs darker than what you may be looking for. All the chicks this year will be blue. The girls I have now have very small combs and almost no wattle. The chicks this year may have a bit more as I am going back Splash Marans, but the combs should still be flat.

No hens available right now, but maybe a little later. My first hatch of chicks is due April Fools Day! Very Happy

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SAM_1669

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SAM_1641

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SAM_1578

Blue and/or Black orpington type, wrong comb (Yes, I want it wrong!) SAM_1584

These pictures were taken in the Fall before they started laying. They are even bigger now.

*Drool* I'll also be PMing you.

Another option would be Australorp types with wrong combs.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave those girls sure turned out awesome!

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

I really like the black body with the red head. I have a couple girls that pushed that colour from last year, so neat.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:Coopslave those girls sure turned out awesome!

You should see them now Hidden, I am so happy with them!

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe I need to plan a visit in August when we come out to Chase for a wedding??I might need to bring some of those girls home with me.
Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden River wrote:Maybe I need to plan a visit in August when we come out to Chase for a wedding??I might need to bring some of those girls home with me.
Smile

Keep it in mind, trying to hatch quite a few this spring, fingers crossed.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a Jonny Anvil Orpington roo in with my mutt Australorp hens.

For the most part, I keep birds with smallish combs, otherwise they freeze in the winter. Distant past has Dark Brahma which lend small combs an large body type. Small combs seem to be dominant.

The other black mutt roo I have with the girls (mostly Australorp) has a small, red comb and sparsely feathered legs.

Do you have a bator or broody hen? I cannot provide you with any birds, but could get you fertile eggs.

Aussie type roo with small red comb over Aussie type mutt hens with small red combs. Or the Orpington roo could be daddy too. It's a gamble.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum