Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Finding out about my past...

+4
Rosies
Roots
happychicks
Jonny Anvil
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Finding out about my past... Empty Finding out about my past... Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

Well it's been something that I have had the responsibility of taking on since my Papa passed away a few years ago, that is resource our family history as far back as I can.

My Papa had traced us back to 1710, in New York, but in a home invasion in 1992, all those documents and records disappeared along with many other personal belongings that were taken that one particular day.
When I turned 18 it was a task that was discussed with my Papa, Melvin Samis to take on, and officially put on my shoulders with his passing.

I am starting to find all sorts of neat and interesting documents and articles related to my search, and I have only just begun.

I know that The Samis Clan I am from resided in Sturgeon District, came across this article today from 2012.... Johnny Store Huh? had no idea we used to own it a few times over the years...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Retraceing family history is awesome ! We've done it as far as we can and unless we travel we have come to a dead end ,but well worth the ride .I hope you can retrace your history ,it's a amazeing to find out about your past ancestors and the family history

3Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Researching family history is such a great adventure! The more we learn the richer our connection not only to those from our past but to those who are related to us in the present and to those who are yet to come in the family branch. So sad about all that info being lost in a home invasion! What a huge loss! All the best on your journey and hope you learn lots of really cool stuff Very Happy

4Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Thanks...

So far I have leant that the name John was VERY popular among the Samis family. Mine is the first ever to be spelt without the "H"

John Stephen Samis - I think Grt Grt Grandfather
John Alvin Samis - Great Grandfather
Jonathan Matthew Samis - Me

5Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Roots

I grew up in Namao and have been to Johnny Store several times. It has lots of history and I am always amazed it is still standing. Good luck on your search!

6Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:21 am

Rosies

I also grew up in Namao and would walk to Johnnys store at least a couple times every weekend with friends or one of my brithers to get penny candies or rent a movie. We knew Ollie and Reed. I habe stopped in there the occasional timr I druve by and love that its still almost the same as when I would go 20 years ago. Love that store.

7Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Big job Johnny. I'm lucky in that most of our lineages have been done by someone else.

The only one left for me to work on is in Denmark and you can't hardly get past the mid-1800's because they kept changing surnames. Crazy Danes.

8Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:49 am

Zenchicken

I too have very fond memories of Johnny's I also went to school with a Samis...wonder if you are related?

9Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi Jonny
My DH has been working on our family tree for the last year on ansestery.com not cheap, but seems to be so worth it for information.
Any way we are about to go back to the UK and I get to stay in the house my grandfather was born in as it is now a rental house for the holiday season. I am so lucky to be able to do this. I know when Dh gets on the computer he can be lost in all the research information. Mind we are not only going to do my family reseach when over in the UK, but going up to North Wales to sort out some of his family tree as well and his parents are coming up to stay with us to go through the records and visit graves as well.

Well worth the work Jonny so keep up the good work.
My Dh found out that in the late 1800 he had a husdband and wife that were both silk weavers. Very cool

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

10Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 am

Sebas49

Sebas49

Yes, good luck in your endeavors. I moved to Sturgeon in 1978 and still in the area. I know Johnny's store very well and still go there once n a while. We still pick up our mail parcels there. Very interesting reading. I had seen the write up before in the Gazette. Johnny maybe you should by the store. It was for sale just a few months ago.

http://www.c-rducks.com

11Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Zenchicken wrote:I too have very fond memories of Johnny's I also went to school with a Samis...wonder if you are related?

I am related to any and all Samis's in Alberta, especially the Namao area.

12Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:03 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sebas49 wrote:Yes, good luck in your endeavors. I moved to Sturgeon in 1978 and still in the area. I know Johnny's store very well and still go there once n a while. We still pick up our mail parcels there. Very interesting reading. I had seen the write up before in the Gazette. Johnny maybe you should by the store. It was for sale just a few months ago.

Rico, you had asked me a while back when I mentioned my family was from the Namao area if I new about Johnny's store. I did but never knew the history.

I have been thinking about it to be honest. I knew that it was for sale. I had stopped in there last summer and spoke to the current owner. He was interested to hear that I was a Samis, and said I was one of many who have shopped there.

Johnny's store was and still is the Go to place for the Namao residents.

I would love to buy that store... It' would still be called Johnny's Store and would be owned by Jonny... lol

Too Cool.

13Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

I am glad that you have finally started this project

14Finding out about my past... Empty Re: Finding out about my past... Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

About time eh?

Guess I needed a fire sparked under my butt!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum