Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Calf

+3
cuckoomama
Schipperkesue
pfarms
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Calf        Empty Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had another calf born this morning. Which is great news. The not so good news is the mom walked away. It was so cold this morning the calf was just shivering and mom got it cleaned off and then left it. All the cows walked away. It is not like her at all, so not sure why. But he was hypothermic and freezing. After watching for a while we brought him in to the house and put him in a dog kennel. Anyway, DH was having massive issues getting him to take colostrum from a bottle. He had been trying for an hour and short of force feeding the calf he couldnt get it to take a bottle. Well, I am nursing my three month old. Guess what I smell like! I get on my knees, take the bottle, put it under my arm and guide him to the bottle as he smells me. In 5 minutes the calf is on the bottle and I had it off to DH and he just glares LOL! Calf is now taking a bottle when offered. To top it off, my dog adopted the calf! She was continuing to clean off the calf and nudge the calf with her nose. As the calf would try to stand up the dog (Mocha my boxer) would lick the calf with excitement. Granted the calf is in a kennel so the dog cant get to him without me there. The dog is even bringing stuff from in the house over to the kennel and leaving it therefor the calf LOL!

I will get photos after I finish feeding my baby Very Happy

** I was talking more to DH, he said this isnt the first time she has done this. Just the first time since I have been here. He has had to bottle feed two other calves from her.**

Last edited by pfarms on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

2Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are BRILLIANT!

(and congratulations!)

3Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

4Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

aww, very cute

5Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Adorable calf. That's funny about your dog. Sounds like 3 strikes and momma cow is out. Opps.

6Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You are right. She is going to freezer camp as soon as I can get the trailer down there!

7Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

how sweet... good you were watching and caught the little guy before it was too late... awesome

8Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So cute! Any chance she would take the calf back? Some animals/people should not be mothers I guess.

9Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:55 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweet calf and I'm glad you found it before it was too late.

Clever work getting the baby to bottle feed! It pays to smell like the Dairy Queen!

10Calf        Empty Re: Calf Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Echo 1 wrote:So cute! Any chance she would take the calf back? Some animals/people should not be mothers I guess.

No, she would not take the calf back. She will be hamburger in a week or so.

It is still just as fuzzy as ever. He loves people.

Ans yes, it does help to smell like Dairy Queen LOL!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum