Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you seen a broody brown sexlink?

+4
bckev
cbrookkelly
DCChick
bcboy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have you seen a broody brown sexlink? Empty Have you seen a broody brown sexlink? Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:01 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well the dog is barking up a storm, a predator is trying to have an early morning snack. So I go into the coop to count the chickens, still 51 of them. I see one hen on 3 eggs that my boys forgot to grab today.
Has anyone had success with a broody brown sex link hen raising chicks? Question
Back to bed I go, good morning?
Thanks for your time Kimball.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I had an ISA brown go broody. The chicks fully formed in the eggs but died right before hatching. I gave her a couple of chicks as a reward for her hard work and she was a great mother.

She's never done it again though and she is going on four years now.

I fact, that's her and the chicks in my avatar.

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Had a white leghorn go broody once....she sat for 18 days and abandoned the eggs. When candled the eggs had quit about day 16 or so.....maybe she knew?

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have had them go broody but never let them sit not sure if they would know what to do.

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think if they are broody then they already know what to do....

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have heard of people having success with them, but many abandon the nest at the final few days. They don't seem to be as 'sticky' as many other type are.
You could try her.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We had an Isa Brown go broody last spring. I gave her 8 eggs and she hatched all of them and was an awesome mother. If she goes broody again this spring I plan to use her to hatch some of my black copper marans eggs.

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

same experience. We had an ISA brown go broody along with 3 or 4 others (is it a virus?) She did a great job and was a good mom. She was killed by a Bobcat a few weeks ago and we will miss her antics with her PMS.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would never prejudge a broody on the basis of her breed/cross. If she's good, she is; if not, not. Broodiness is too variable to predict on that one piece of info. Judge her on her performance.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum