Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Went into the back room and......

+7
CynthiaM
fuzzylittlefriend
bcboy
pops coops
uno
Hidden River
coopslave
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Went into the back room and...... Empty Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

....dusted Bertha off and plugged her in. She started like a dream, has been chugging away all afternoon holding temp. She is a great old girl, I love her.

It was probably a very bad thing to do, as the weather has been pretty good, but I know it will get cold in February. Makes me want to hatch, but I will check her again in the morning and then use my will power and unplug her. I don't have my breeding pens set up yet anyways (thank gordon!).

2Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes the itch is upon us!
Most of my birds are seperated now, have to wait the time now before I know for sure they are pure, then put the roosters in. Hoping that the cold snap we get in February doesnt last long...
I have 4 trays in my Sportsman of the breeds that have been seperated long enough now, doing a test hatch. Just couldnt wait any longer. Very Happy

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh. Thought you were going to say, went into the back room and came out with a black eye.

4Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:Oh. Thought you were going to say, went into the back room and came out with a black eye.

Not this time, that was last month! Laughing

5Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine are now dusted off to but I have sold 3 of my bators, have only 2 left, and the ones I donate to the school class rooms

http://www.popscoops.com

6Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Way to early guy's and gals ! It's still January ?

7Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:....dusted Bertha off and plugged her in. She started like a dream, has been chugging away all afternoon holding temp. She is a great old girl, I love her.

It was probably a very bad thing to do, as the weather has been pretty good, but I know it will get cold in February. Makes me want to hatch, but I will check her again in the morning and then use my will power and unplug her. I don't have my breeding pens set up yet anyways (thank gordon!).
How many eggs can Bertha hatch at one time? How old is Bertha? Does Bertha have a clear window that you can look through to see the eggs?
Thanks for your time.
Kimball
Very Happy

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

8Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i have millies hatching this weekend....its never to early!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

9Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got scared when you said you went into the back room and....all kinds of things conjured up in my mind. Mostly things that are in the dark, darkness scares me, I don't like dark and I don't like wind. Going into a dark room scares me. I have very good night vision, kind of liken myself to a cat and I can see things in the dark, things scare me in the dark. The thoughts of going into a dark back room scare me.

Now that I have that off my chest. I am still scared when I wondered what was in the back room, didn't know if the room was dark or not, but that is what was conjured up in my mind, a dark black room with no light.

Yay, after all, I bet that room has a window and it was not dark, it was just a room where Bertha was resting. I remember last year, Coopslave, when you got Bertha. You were so excited and you hatched out many a chick. Remember? I decided to name mine Bertha too. My Bertha is chugging away in my Daughter's back room (it has no windows, so is scarey dark, well the door has a window in it, so some light does come in and electric lights, of course. I took a most beautiful picture of candling an egg when I candled....think I need to make a thread to show that pretty egg. Think I will.

My Bertha will bring a hatch to fruition beginning on Sunday and will go through Monday, then about 11 days later I have another tray that will be hatching. I will candle the eggs tomorrow again to go to lockdown for Sunday hatching, at that time I will also candle the second tray, they will be old enough to get a good visual on what is or is not inside.

I am not thrilled so far with the first hatch, only about 50% candled nicely. I think it may have had something to do with a product I used on the birds which may have decreased fertility, but not sure. The candling of the second rack had better be better than the first. Sigh....50% is not an acceptable number of embryos to be developing and this needs to improve. I chalk it up to either the mite product or the small testes of the roosters in wintertime. Anyhow...we'll see (oops, did I ramble off topic a little, pardon, I mean that).

I think your Bertha is very much like mine Coopslave. Mine is old as the hills though, older than dirt itself I think. I think yours is more young. My Husband put a new thermostat on my unit. I like that and I think it works better. The old system on it was a little black dial that I always had a very difficult time to work and make stay at the right temperature. I think maybe the little dial got bumped now and then or something and it might have moved. Mine has the clear door, I love to sit and look in and watch. Does yours have a clear door? If not, would highly recommend you change it, put out the bucks and get clear so you can watch. It's better than a TV screen!!

Ya, gonna put that third rack of eggs in the day after the chicks are moved to their brooding area. My trays hold 72 in each trays, and three racks, so that is about 216 eggs. I think the new type of racks will hold more eggs than mine. Remember I have that weird racked one that was designed for the goose or emu eggs, totally different rack set up, but works just finely. Oh Coopslave, hold onto your britches!! You gonna be twitchin' to get Bertha chugging along again. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

10Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

WHEW Coop I could have sworn you were going to say and I forgot why I went there?

That happens to me regularly Laughing

Slow down boys and girls I am not even close to thinking about babies. I still have to make it thru next month.

11Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Ruffled, I know that feeling, happens now and then...gotta go back to where my thought was and grab it, then I know what I need. Funny thing, eh? Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

12Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

All I can say Cynthia is it was lucky that back room wasn't dark and windy. We might have lost you!

My problem isn't the incubating, it's the brooding afterwards. Until the electrician returns my new brooding room is just a nasty cold place (not dark or windy though) so I am holding off...

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

13Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:My problem isn't the incubating, it's the brooding afterwards. Until the electrician returns my new brooding room is just a nasty cold place (not dark or windy though) so I am holding off...

That's my trouble to Heda, won't be incubating for a while yet.
CynthiaM, just so you don't worry about me, my back room has a BIG window and no wind. Wink

My Bertha is a 1202 Sportsman and as CynthiaM says, old as dirt. It holds LOTS of eggs, has an auto turner and a hatcher at the bottom. Has a solid door, which does drive me crazy sometimes but I haven't changed it yet, but holds temp like a champ. It has the old black dial that CynthiaM also talked about, but for me if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Very Happy

I will turn her off today so I don't risk the temptation. I won't be hatching until March I think. To many brooding problems here.

14Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:

My Bertha is a 1202 Sportsman and as CynthiaM says, old as dirt. It holds LOTS of eggs, has an auto turner and a hatcher at the bottom. Has a solid door, which does drive me crazy sometimes but I haven't changed it yet, but holds temp like a champ. It has the old black dial that CynthiaM also talked about, but for me if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Very Happy

Coopslave, do you mind if I put a couple of pictures of my incubator and egg racks in your thread? I know I have threads elsewhere here, but too lazy to look for them. I got some good pictures, might be a good thing, if that doesn't cut your grass, smiling.

Ya, remember with that little black dial, one entire resolution is one degree. I got fed up with turning it back and forth, guess mine was not working properly. So ordered a new thermostat from Berry Hill. It was very easy for Husband to put in and boy it works like a charm. It has the four little toggles that are numbered (well, I think it is four) 1-4, for the temperature and is just so easy, compared to fiddling with that frickin' little black dial. It was a worthwhile investment for me. But ya, for you, if it ain't broke, for surely, don't fix it!! You GOTTA get the acrylic door for your Bertha girl, it is so nice to peek in and watch, instead of being behind a door you can't see through. Kind of reminds me of an old TV show with Bob Barker. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

15Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Post away CynthiaM. You know I like threads that take on a life of their own. Very Happy

16Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You could BOTH post photos of your incubators so we can all play "spot the difference".

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

17Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Haha after reading the title I had to remind myself this is a chicken forum Very Happy Ruffled had a good point though Laughing

It's been warmish here too but chicks are just too hard to brood in the cold so no chicks until april or may. We did brood in the house the first year but ugh not anymore. However, little waterfowl do pretty darn well brooding in even my cold barn so will probably start next month. I like the birds to be out of separtation so they can enjoy freeranging when the snow melts. I like get the bit of hatching I do done early.

My son pulled his incubator out last night though so it can be set up this weekend. He's only got a Brinsea mini though and is picking up Cortunix eggs that will become his first 4-H project Cool

18Went into the back room and...... Empty Re: Went into the back room and...... Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hidden River wrote:Yes the itch is upon us!
Most of my birds are seperated now, have to wait the time now before I know for sure they are pure, then put the roosters in. Hoping that the cold snap we get in February doesnt last long...
I have 4 trays in my Sportsman of the breeds that have been seperated long enough now, doing a test hatch. Just couldnt wait any longer. Very Happy

the itch just isnt among us!! My girl's little silkie went a very determinate broody on me three weeks ago... this is the first of five eggs she was sitting on (salmon faverolle eggs, by the way, so really stretching it for that little chicken!!!) I dont think all five eggs are going to "make" it... but even so, even just a couple chicks are going to be nice!! here's to hoping that at least one or two are hens!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum