Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do you pay for a bag of chicken feed?

+13
Piet
poplar girl
R. Roo
chicken crack
foal0069
triplejfarms
Schipperkesue
KendraG
Hillbilly
Cathyjk
CynthiaM
smokyriver
cuckoomama
17 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do you pay for a bag of chicken feed? Empty What do you pay for a bag of chicken feed? Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We went to pick up a couple of bags of chicken feed and were shocked to find out that it had sneaked up to $16.99 a bag. We used to pay 12.99 in the spring and then $14.99 in the fall. What do other people that buy bags of feed pay?

Last edited by cuckoomama on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oops)

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have started buying in the mini bulk and 1 ton was 367.00 or something like that can't remember for sure though

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a feed mill called Surecrop right across the field from me. I buy only 18% layer pellets. They are $12.45 a bag. Hasn't changed much in price in a long time. I also buy hen scratch and it is about $10.50 a bag. I have not noticed any huge increase in feed, maybe a little at a time, so I haven't even noticed if there has been price increases, which I am sure there has. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If I can buy right from the farmer who makes it, it's 13.00 a 25kg bag (but he is a 3 hour drive away). When it gets delivered to the store, it used to be 14.75.. last week it went up to 16.00.

Cyndi.. I might have to start stopping at SureCrop on my way home from Kamloops and pick up feed!!

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just over $10 for 18% at our local feed store.

KendraG

KendraG

Yesterday a bag of layer was $24 and a bag of scratch was $10.50.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

$5 - $7 for a bag of grain screenings. I can also buy pea screenings to up the protein.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

$17 layer ration, then i mix in oats/ hemp at 8 bucks per bag those 3 bags last my birds a long time when mixed together...

Last edited by triplejfarms on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

foal0069

Right now I am feeding just wheat at 11.99 a bag, cracked corn at 13.95 a bag with some home grown oats. I am also working on my mealworm farm so I can do and increase in protein. They have free choice oyster shells which they never seem to eat and just a little layer pellets right now as they are on sabbatical until probably the end of January. My layer pellets are all veggie and were 16.99 a bag in September (I only feed one scoop to each set of layer hens when they are laying as they aren't suppose to need as much of this one) I can't remember the name of it, will have to check next time I hit that feed store.

chicken crack

chicken crack

I started buying the mini bulk bags last year. The mill will mix up whatever I want. Even with the increase in grains I paid around $200 for something like 900 lbs. Even before the feed prices went up it cost WAY more to buy bagged food. I am glad I have a place to store it, I know some can not get a large quantity.

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just purchased a 1000kg tote of 17% layer ration pellets for $414 from Champion Feeds. The same product cost me about $347 a little over a year ago.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

KendraG wrote:Yesterday a bag of layer was $24 and a bag of scratch was $10.50.
where do you buy the layer feed?!!

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

KendraG

KendraG

Piet wrote:

North 40 in Cochrane.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

KendraG wrote:
Piet wrote:

North 40 in Cochrane.
depending on how much feed you buy i guess, you could look into another place like the coop feed mill in Calgary and spend much less. Off course that is a bit of a drive from Cochrane, but if you go through a lot of feed it might be worth your while. I will have to look for receipts, but i believe its around 12 dollars per 20kg bag.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

KendraG

KendraG

Piet wrote:
KendraG wrote:
Piet wrote:

North 40 in Cochrane.
depending on how much feed you buy i guess, you could look into another place like the coop feed mill in Calgary and spend much less. Off course that is a bit of a drive from Cochrane, but if you go through a lot of feed it might be worth your while. I will have to look for receipts, but i believe its around 12 dollars per 20kg bag.

At this point, I'm only feeding 5 so I don't go through very much feed at all - but I do have plans to expand, of course, so I appreciate the info, thanks Piet!

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

13.50 for a bag of 17% layer crumbs. If you buy 10 bags, it would be 13.30 a bag. Buy a pallet of 50 bags, it would be 12.50.
Hummmm CynthiaM how many bags do you buy at a time to receive that price? Thanks for your time.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

bcboy wrote:13.50 for a bag of 17% layer crumbs. If you buy 10 bags, it would be 13.30 a bag. Buy a pallet of 50 bags, it would be 12.50.
Hummmm CynthiaM how many bags do you buy at a time to receive that price? Thanks for your time.

The price for one bag or two of 18% layer pellets is $12.45 (give or take, but pretty sure 2 bags came to $25.??? something or other). So that would make it $12....???something or other for a bag. I have never noticed if there is tax on the product, must be, but not sure...I can find out later for surely what the final cost is. You can phone Surecrop for prices, they list what they have on their website, but no prices. They got alot of stuff there. Everything, from antibiotics to herbicide to pest control items and a million more in the store Razz I think because it is mill direct and the pellets are made there, it may be a little cheaper. But Surecrop does say on a sign "retailer", so it is not wholesale...I am not sure if there is a discount or not for more than 2. Living across the road from the mill, I only buy one or two bags at a time. So ya.....maybe worth your while, at $1 a bag cheaper. You have to weigh the time factor, gas for drive, etc....the mill is in Grindrod, about 6 kms north of Enderby, which is about 20 minutes north of Vernon, of course, dependent upon where in Vernon one lives. They are open 8:00 to 5:00 weekdays. There is the most interesting smells that come from Surecrop Feeds, really..I mean it. Some days I swear they are cooking cookies over there, other times, which is rare, but now and then it smells like there is crap cookin' over there. I know that Surecrop also sells huges tote bags, the ones so big that a forklift requires to move them....wonder what's in those. Well, I do know Daughter has pulled a tote bag of alfalfa cubes with the forklift (just kidding) across the field to our farm. That tote is loaded into their truck, then forklifted out Shocked Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

calliope

calliope

Hi, Cynthia! Surecrop gives 20 cents per bag off if you buy over 10 bags. They have printed price lists you can pick up, too. I try to go there to get my feed whenever I can. If I go north to Kamloops, I can pay up to $4 a bag more depending on what I get! I like to support the local mill, too Smile They also sell screenings farily cheap, but I think they only bulk deliver those in a minimum of either 1 or 2 tons, can't remember. Happy New Year!

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, Calliope, pop in for a coffee when you go to Surecrop next time. Shoot me an email the night before or something. They sell screenings eh? Funny, live so close, but yet so far away to knowing what is around me. I don't have room to store 10 bags of feed, zero gas to get across the road there, so I'll consider that 20 cents a bag saving

I went to Buckerfields Saturday last, and took advantage of their $10 a bag for layer pellets. Go figure this one though!! I only feed 18% layer pellets. They did not carry, and do not carry 18% layer pellets, only 16%. What's with that? They had 17% layer mash, but would not feed mash as I think too much is wasted. So, bought a few bags. Why on earth doesn't a big company such as Buckerfields offer an 18% layer, that be-boggles my mind. Oh well, it is what it is. Laughing Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

calliope

calliope

CynthiaM wrote:Oh ya, Calliope, pop in for a coffee when you go to Surecrop next time. Shoot me an email the night before or something. CynthiaM.

Yes, I will do that! I picked up extra in the fall so I wouldn't have to travel down that way so much on winter roads, but I will probably be down there towards the end of this month Smile

sosweetjojo

sosweetjojo

3 weeks ago i got a bag of 17% for 19.49 at the Peers Farm Store. 2 week ago i went to Barrhead and only payed 11.60 for 17% per bag

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM Buckerfields does carry the 18% cause that is what I feed. At least the main Kelowna one does. It was not on sale though. You must have gotten someone a bit slow at the til. I think it is $14 or $15 a bag. I usually buy a few things and don't look at the prices. I will next time.

If I hatch as many as I want to this year I may have to come to Surecrop and stock up! Very Happy

calliope wrote:
CynthiaM wrote:Oh ya, Calliope, pop in for a coffee when you go to Surecrop next time. Shoot me an email the night before or something. CynthiaM.

Yes, I will do that! I picked up extra in the fall so I wouldn't have to travel down that way so much on winter roads, but I will probably be down there towards the end of this month Smile

If you come in mid-February or later, please let me know too. Smile I'd love to meet for a coffee if my schedule allows.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum