Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about white birds

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Question about white birds Empty Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has any one used Corn starch on the white birds to help brighten them and give the alittle Shine.
Of course it would be blown out
We use it with dogs so was wondering if anyone has used it for Poultry
I used it on one of my rosecomb LH Bantams just to see and it seemed to work som
or maybe I am just crazy

2Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Joe, I am sure you have seen groomers load up a Sheltie's legs with cholesterol and chalk? I wonder if that could be done with a silkie?! Hee hee!

Tell us how the results of your little experiment work out.

3Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:43 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I sure will let you Know
I hope Heather or Rico post on this as I am sure They have seen all the tricks LOL

Last edited by appway on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and added)

4Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:37 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rico or Heather Have there ever been Birds shown that you judged that have been Powdered or Corn starched?

Thanks\
Joe

5Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Joe, I am betting they will say there are no foreign substances allowed on the birds. That said, I have a book somewhere called "The Art of Faking Poultry" or something like that.

6Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Appway
I would not put any cornstarch in your bird, it will change the texture of the feather and if the judge gets any on their hands it could be the difference between placing well or not and you may get foreign substance written on your card.

Just a nice bath ensuring all the soap is out is best and a good wipe down with a piece of silk. I any soap is left in the feathers will appear sticky. Soap left in and blueing turning white birds various shades of blue are the most common things I see. esp the soap. Heavy feathered birds need at least 3 rinse waters to get it all out.
Hope this helps

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

7Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Heather
Did not think about it changing the texture so guess I will skip it LOL
I loved doing the Bantams after their bath I put them on my Ring side Grooming table and They just layed there while I dried them and even layed on their backs while I did their underneath.
Now the Austalorp and the Ameracauna were not real happy
Neither were the 2 Delawares
Oh well all is fun

Thank you again for your answer

Joe

8Question about white birds Empty Re: Question about white birds Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No Problem Joe and the best of luck at your show to you and Geri. I am finally done after being gone judging or showing every week for the last 9 weeks in a row, glad it's over for the year now and my poor doggies can bond with there mom again.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum