Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I think everyone should get more involved if they have ideas or suggestions about last weekend.

+6
Schipperkesue
Sebas49
appway
toybarons
Mel
cbotkin
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi all,

I had a great time this past weekend at the CHB show. The team did a great job at putting on a poultry show. I think it is important that their job is not to provide entertainment for the weekend. I agree, with travelling from BC's West Coast makes a very long weekend, but we still did it, and we did it for the love of attending a poultry show. We were not attending because we wanted something to do for the weekend aside from entering our birds, chatting with fellow exhibitors and maybe indulging in some beverages after hours in the company of people who are there for the same reason.

This is the second time I am posting a comment like this, but I feel a better way to get your ideas and opinions heard is to attend the meeting of CHB and offer your suggestions there, or ask to join the board of directors and take on a role and work to promote your idea. On forums like these, ideas, posts and threads can easily be mis-construed. If you are getting involved and take things to the club, they will definately listen to your suggestions. The discussion online can be interpreted offensively, especially so soon after the show. In my opinion, and as an organizer of a number of our local shows, suggestions on an open forum, so soon afterwards is very inundating and can be very offensive as we all feel extremely tired and feel that we worked very hard to put on the show. Again, my suggestion to those who have comments about the show or suggestion, are to speak directly to the board or attend the meetings or the sponsoring organization, or better yet, get on the organizing committee. I think those that are posting should be all but courteous to the management team and may want to lighten up on the suggestions at this time as you may be pushing buttons and be unaware of it.

It is very nice to see a funcitonal group growing in Alberta and it would be a shame to see it discouraged.

Clayton

http://www.cbotkin.ca

Mel

Need a 'LIKE' button! With a club that has over 100 members and only 14 showing up at thier last AGM......

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

As someone who goes to the general meetings, I can tell you it is dissapointing when you don't see many members turn out. Hopfully, this will change as membership grows.

There is a real reason why we are posting on comments on an open forum. Want to make it clear, the reason is in no way a disrespect to CHB or its board.

Unless their opinions have changed recently, in the past CHB has stated they do read the forums and they do want to hear what people think. Not just about the show they put on but just how the general public feel about exhibiting in general.

The reason for starting this topic right after the show is because it is right after the show. Thoughts are fresh in the mind. Chances are if you wait a few weeks for comments of what people thought of the show, people would like forget what they thought was both good and what can be improved on.

I might be wrong, but it is hoped that no one at CHB is taking what is being commenting on as a negative to what they are doing. I feel if you read the comments, no one is bashing them or faulting them and the show. I feel many of the posts are showing their support of what CHB does and of the show and that we want to all make it better.

Comments should not be exclusive just to those, like myself, who hold a yearly membership and have to wait for a general meeting held within a month of the show to voice our opinions. I would like to think the CHB board appreciates constructive talk about the show no matter where it appears.

Also posters, it's only $10 to become a member *hint hint*

Have a good one. Very Happy

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have not seen any Bickering or any bad things about the show stated.
I thought about becoming a member but as I live in Saskatchewan I would never be able to go to any of the meetings would never be on the board as I am not in Alberta, and I dont know if I would be able to go to the CHb shows as I dont drive and my Partner does not have every weekend off
I have enjoyed the discussion on the other post hope people dont stop
And Cbotkin I agree it ios fun to meet people at the shows and maybe go out with some of them
Did you have your Booth at the show this year?
I also can see some of your points so please dont take this as negative

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hope he doesn't mind me answering, but Clayton was at the show. Not only as a vendor of fine Brinsea products but he was there with his birds. Clayton took Continental Class with a beautiful Favorelle [and she is BEAUTIFUL!] but I think he also won Large Fowl.

Sebas49

Sebas49

The CHB board will certainly look at the forum and look at the suggestion and opinions. Until one puts on a show or two many of the comments and suggestion are the same ones over and over. Something that keeps coming up is the two vs three day show. As mentioned on another thread there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

A two day show is cheaper for the exhibitor if you are staying in a hotel and one does not need to take an extra day off work. Of course these are big factors for the exhibitor. A two day really becomes an exhibitors show and not really catering to the public. For many far away exhibitors it is really a one day show. You could coop in early Saturday morning and leave right after the banquet. Exhibitors traveling a real long distance can leave before the show opens in the morning. Expenses would be kept to a minimum for sure. On the flip side many exhibitors who travel the long distance to the show want to relax for a day or two and visit. Many don't want to coop in and then coop out right away and head out. We will need to check with the Westerner also to see if they will only let us have the hall for two days. At present for the three days we actually get use of it from Wednesday after to Sunday night but only get charged to three days. For a two day show we might not get the hall until Saturday morning because it may rent it out Thursday and Friday, which would not be enough time to set it up. We will certainly inquire about the possibilities.

http://www.c-rducks.com

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a question / comment. You made a comment that a 2 day show is more for the exhibitor and not for the public. Excuse my ignornace on this point, but I'm having a problem seeing it. Friday you would get those who want to be there to see what is available in the sales area. The general public just wanting to check things out generally would hit between 4-8 pm, after work and when kids are out of school.

Most general public just wanting to check out an event, as a rule plan their visits on a Saturday and I'm sure the door take would reflect that stat. Most events plan Saturdays as the money as they take into account families [kids are not in school.] Usually when I did cons, Saturdays were also the big demo days. If you were going to do a seminiar or give demostrations to the public, that was the day to have it on.

Most events see Sunday as the slow day in event planning. Sundays generally have a peek period, usually it's in the late morning - early afternoon and then it slows down after 2. That's because vendors / exhibitors begin to prepare to wrap up.

Having said what I said, I can certainly see why it would make sense to keep this a 3 day event if the facility is giving you extra days at no cost in order to set up the show. That certainly would make a lot of sense.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do believe CHB discussed having a show committee at the last AGM and I am sure they would welcome anyone who wants to be more involved with the show.

I must be reading the wrong posts. I haven't read anything negative, just accolades and suggestions.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I went back to look through the other posts and threads and I did not find anything negative either.

I will go have another look. Maybe I missed something in one of the suggestions.

Sebas49

Sebas49

I'm not saying that there was negative stuff. Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of a two day show. What I'm saying is that a two day show is geared more for the exhibitor, like in the States. The show in the USA don't really care about the public. They only care about the exhibitors, the public is secondary. You are correct saying that it would probably increase the entries, so we would need two judges. Judging would be all day Saturday with the Champions picked Sunday morning. Judges would probably be leaving shortly after that because of travel arrangements, so not much time left to visit with the judges. The three day show normally would give the exhibitor a full day to visit with the judge after judging is complete. We will have to weigh the pro and cons of the two day vs three day show. Keep the ideas and suggestion coming. We will read them and use them if it will help us.

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Rico, you have definately raised some good points as to the advantages and the disadvantages of 2 vs 3 day show. I am torn. It s not an easy choice for the organizers to make I can see that and the choice has not been made lightly.

And it is good that comments are welcome, they are certainly not meant in a negative way, I think everyone has been very respectful. But I can see how comments from those who did not put work into the organizing of the show could rub some the wrong way.

Thank you CHB again for hosting this show.

Now where's that Easy Button when you need it?

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

sorry if i offended anyone i didnt mean to ....i was giving my opinion on how it differed from last year, perhaps i shoud just keep my mouth shut.. Embarassed

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Sebas49

Sebas49

Comments and suggestion are always welcome, please keep them coming. My question and concerns is - what do the exhibitors want. I know that keeping expenses down is everyone's goal. If we really are not worried about the public, then a two day show is the way to go. As everyone knows shows in Ontario, except for the Royal, BC and Eastern Canada are 1 1/2 day shows. By 12 noon everyone's released. Do we want this? I don't really know the answer.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

A show without the exhibitors does the public absolutely no good. What do the public go to see? Livestock and breeders. If a show does not draw large number and variety of livestock and the people who bring them, it is a pretty dead show, and uninteresting to exhibitors.

If you build it...they will come!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:A show without the exhibitors does the public absolutely no good. What do the public go to see? Livestock and breeders. If a show does not draw large number and variety of livestock and the people who bring them, it is a pretty dead show, and uninteresting to exhibitors.

If you build it...they will come!

Exactly.

All intentions from us here with our comments are meant to help not to hinder or discourage what the CHB board is doing.

This is just a thought. Just before the show I was talking to Paul Monteith and the subject of two judges working a show was brought up. He mentioned one of the best he did had each judge working at opposite ends of the floor. This way they were able to do the judging in one day and in reasonable time. The subject of whether this was done during a 2 or 3 day show was not discussed nor the number of birds being judge.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I will continue to exhibit at the CHB show regardless of whether it stays a 3 day show or becomes just 2 days. Of the Alberta shows, this is the largest and I'm just thankful for the opportunity to take part. I'll happily book off a vacation day to spend chatting with fellow breeders!
When I mentioned before that it seemed a bit long, I was also thinking of the time commitment for the organizers. It means one more day to spend sweeping, manning the front door and taking care of the hundred and one little things that make the show run so smoothly. while the 2 day shows are maybe a bit more convenient and less costly for those that stay in hotels, it is less relaxed feeling. It seems you barely get a chance to visit with everyone you want to see and get a good look at all the birds. I think the members of the public that are interested will still wander in, look around and leave again. Most don't seem to be looking for seminars or events really. They just like to see all the birds and animals.
I can see advantages to both scenarios.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum