Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Life span?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Life span? Empty Life span? Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What is the life span of a turkey? Specifically the white meat breeds?

2Life span? Empty Re: Life span? Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:01 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see no one answered this question. I would think normal life span would be until Thanksgiving, or possibly Christmas... Smile Turkey

I remember having one Nicolas White that somehow made it past the usual holiday meals, but honestly can't remember how long we had him. Has anyone kept white commercial turkeys for longer than the usual butchering age?

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Life span? Empty Re: Life span? Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well I have a pet turkey tom. He is a bronze and is going on 4 years old.

4Life span? Empty Re: Life span? Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:11 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, I was inquiring about their natural life span and hoping it was rather short.

They are not my turkeys, but live here and annoy me. They arrived just before Thanksgiving as their "owner" rescued them from the holiday. They are massive and are not at all graceful when they walk.

I have a Blue Slate Tom who is much nicer than them. He can walk without looking like it is a huge effort.

5Life span? Empty Re: Life span? Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh okay. Well I have heard that most commercial white turkeys can't live too long. Since they are bred to be breast heavy they are often prone to stroking out. I think the longest I heard was a rescue that lived just over a year before it stroked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum