Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good wool socks and the fine art of darning.

+5
poplar girl
Ruffledfeathers
coopslave
uno
Schipperkesue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love socks. I especially love wool socks. Most of all I love wool socks made of fine quality wool made from all those special breeds of soft warm sheep wool.

But I have been tempted. I needed socks and the only place I could find wool ones was *gasp* Walmart! What crap. Only a few washings and holes. Holes in the heels. Holes in the toes.

So I have been thinking. What a throwaway society we have. Remember darning socks? Remember the little wooden tool that you used to do your darning over? I still know how to darn socks but I will not darn these Walmart wonders. I will save my time for more worthy socks.

So comment as you will but my question is.... Where can I buy decent socks. Ones that I want to spend my time darning. Warm, soft ,fuzzy almost 100% real wool. Merino, alpaca, Shetland, I say almost 100% because a little stretchy stuff in there helps to keep them up!

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have some wool socks that my mother-in-law made me from wool she combed, spun and knitted herself! They are GORGEOUS. Chunky and fat you need a big boot to accomodate them, they take up at least a foot size.

But...I found they wore out very fast in the two wear areas you mentioned, the toes and heel. I have darned them many, many times. At first I darned with 100% wool that I got from MIL, but it wore too. Last few times I darned with a wool blend to see if it stood up to wear a bit better and I think it did. I do not have a wooden thingy for darning, I use a lightbulb.

I think the socks you seek are specialty items sold at craft fairs and farm gate sales from alpaca breeders and such. I know our local fair always features lamaand sheep people who display their gorgeous products. The socks are awesome...but a little more than I am willing to pay for a pair of socks!

Check online...but I bet someone on this site can set you up with some socks or a direct line where to get them. I feel for your poor, cold toes.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The inlaws send me possum socks every year at Christmas. I value the lovely, warm and incredibly soft gift from them more than they imagine I bet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:The inlaws send me possum socks every year at Christmas. I value the lovely, warm and incredibly soft gift from them more than they imagine I bet.

I need to know coop What are possum socks?

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, what Ruffled said. Possum socks? Possums grow wool?

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe we should look in to farming possum. Laughing Laughing

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is the propaganda for them. I have never had warmer socks. Google them, they are not as thick as many wool socks and they are a bit fluffy like the angora sweaters we used to wear in the 80s. Very Happy

These socks are made from a luxurious blend of possum fur and superfine, New Zealand Merino wool: 25% Possum fur,52% Merino wool, with 23% Nylon and 1% Lycra for extra strength and shape retention. So soft and warm you’ll never want to take them off.

I find them a little slippery on wood floors, but that can be a bit of fun too!! Laughing As far as I know you can only get them in NZ.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

affraid Holy smokes!! I googled it and all I can say is wow.

expensive but from what I read worth it.

Who knew? Well the kiwi's did but still.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Every thing is expensive down there. Wages are higher but so is stuff. Their dollar used to be a lot lower than ours but I think it is closer now.
They are great and I will savour my new ones this year. The gloves are great too, but a bit slippery at first.

Sorry Sue, not much help with the wool socks. They have good ones of those in NZ too though. Rolling Eyes

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My all-time favorite socks are Wigwam merino wool light hiking socks. Not the same as home made i know but I have small feet and the fit perfect if I buy the small size, they last for years even with washing and drying in the machine, never loose their shape, are warm but not itchy. No other sock I have ever owned compares...but I have never tried possum wool....

You can buy them at MEC [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ruffledfeathers wrote:Maybe we should look in to farming possum. Laughing Laughing

It is the brush tailed possum, they are kinda cute I suppose, but really are dirty little vermin. Stinky, make a mess when they move into a building and they have big TB trouble with them in NZ.

They actually get pretty big too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When it is homespun wool yarn you need to put more twist into the yarn when making for it to stand up to Sue's wear LOL Very Happy
Now Sue why did you not ask for sock , but don't worry I have one mitt done and half way throw the second one. Then on to dyeing them earthy orange for you. Will need your postal address very soon so please pm me your address.

I have made my father inlaw hand knit wool socks before and it was not until the last pair I made him that I got feed back. The purchase wool did not stand up to the wear, but my hand spun did. So it is all in the twist.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks goodness! I was picturing sticking your feet in the possum's pouch and shuffling around. Although I guess those would be more like slippers.

I still have wool socks that my Grandmother knit for me. As Uno said, you need to go up a boot size to wear them. My work these days is a lot more indoors than I used to be back home on the farm but I'm not getting rid of them. You never know.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

coopslave wrote:The inlaws send me possum socks every year at Christmas. I value the lovely, warm and incredibly soft gift from them more than they imagine I bet.

Do you know where they get them? They might be good for a diabetic relative of mine.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:

Do you know where they get them? They might be good for a diabetic relative of mine.

This was the online store I found

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lazyfarmer

Hello Sue how do you do;
Are your feet Blue?
The Smart wool Trekking socks are good with 80% wool, 19% nylon and 1% elastic.
The Woolrich Outdoor series is better again with 70% merino wool, 28% stretch nylon, and 2% spandex. I have worn both and the Woolrich are softer more comfortable and wear longer. Most outdoor or shoe stores carry the smartwool sock. The Woolrich are harder to find, my sister found a store in Calgary that carried them so I stocked up. They were $28.99 for three pairs last time I bought them. The Smartwool usaully run about $14 a pair. I first tried these at a trade show, some outfitting company from Vancover were selling them. I thought the price was way to much, the sales man said here, put on a pair and go walk around the show, if you like them come back and buy them, if not just don't come back. After wearing them for about an hour I went back and bought 6 pairs they are that good. They were the Woolrich brand, when I couldn't find them again I started to wear the Smartwool, like I said they are good but not as good as Woolrich. I used to wear HAPPYFOOT socks and thought $6 for 2 pair was outrages. Now I will gladly pay for these good quality sock.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lazyfarmer, how are you?
Yes, it's true, my feet are blue.
My socks are old, they are not new.
The choice for purchasing is few.
I will do as all of you
Suggest to me for socks or two
Then darning I won't have to do!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Alas Sue, you took convincing
But those cold feet left you wincing
Get these ones made from the possum
Those old socks, just take and toss 'em

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today, my socks they are Alpaca,
My feet are fine, warmth does not lacka.
I shall be ordering online
My tootsie situation's fine!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad your footcare's not forsaken
Alpaca advice is well taken
Though I may seem uncouth
My feet stay warm inside my mouth

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Sue, have you checked out Pasu Farm, it's just west of Carstairs, and also The Woolen mill is East of Carstairs?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum