Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Split beak? (New Picture included)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Split beak? (New Picture included) Empty Split beak? (New Picture included) Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 pm

So, my EE roo has a 'split' beak. It's not cracked or crossed, but at about half it's length it has split and grown down in a Y shape.

Google turned up very little, and the on picture I found on my search wasn't neaaarly as severe as my birds. Is this hereditary? From an injury when he was younger? Will this get worse and/or effect his quality of life?

Thanks so much.

Pictah!
Split beak? (New Picture included) NestboxHowto-11

Last edited by Sweetened on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Split beak? (New Picture included) Empty Re: Split beak? (New Picture included) Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has it always been split or just recently become split?

3Split beak? (New Picture included) Empty Re: Split beak? (New Picture included) Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 pm

lazyfarmer

I had a rooster this spring with his beak split about 3/4 of an inch. It seemed to have been grown out way too long, it was a bird I purchased. I just trimed it as short as I could with out bleeding. Never gave it another thought till now, I checked him today and there is no split beak now.

4Split beak? (New Picture included) Empty Re: Split beak? (New Picture included) Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:41 pm

uno wrote:Has it always been split or just recently become split?

To answer, when I moved him to the big coop 3 weeks ago, I had not noticed it.

It was so obvious to me from him at the waterer across the coop, that I thought part of his beak had broken off. At closer inspection, like I said, it was just like his beak had grown into 2 parts. I am struggling to figure out how I would have missed this when I would have carried him like a cat across the acreage from one coop to the other considering it's that obvious.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum