Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Saying goodbye to Duster

+16
chickencrazygirl
Mel
CynthiaM
Ruffledfeathers
foal0069
Susan
rosewood
toybarons
triplejfarms
Jonny Anvil
uno
Bowker Acres
KendraG
appway
Hillbilly
Schipperkesue
20 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Duster was an Australian Cattle Dog. After long deliberation I bought him as a puppy in 2000. I had left a dangerous marriage, fled the city and was in hiding out on an acreage with a friend. All I had was a bag of clothes and my Schipperkes. Feeling scared and exposed I decided I needed another dog. A big dog. Just the search for a dog made me feel better.

Duster exploded into my life out of a crate at the airport. Oh my Gordon! What was this foolish thing I did? How can I handle such a whirlwind of energy? However, he settled in quickly and became a great companion. He was everything the Schips were not. He knew boundaries, was naturally obedient, and when we went for walks (off leash, wonder of wonders!) Duster circled me all the way. He must have walked 10x the distance I went. I felt safe and secure.

Duster was a clown. He always made me laugh. His eye always said...ya wanna go? I took him to school as a puppy. He had a great time in the class with the kids. One day the principal came into my room, her eyes tearing up with laughter. She had just witnessed a class of Jr. high kids playing with Duster in the park. One took him down the slide. She said there were legs everywhere!

Duster was trouble. He stole, wrecked things, barked incessantly and by the time I married Doug we were calling him the five thousand dollar dog. When he reached his 10th year he was a ten thousand dollar dog. Purchase price, flight, show fees, travel, handler fees, eye testing, hip testing, neutering, obedience classes, damage to objects, damage to property, vet bills for fighting. It all added up.

Duster and I spent a lot of time together. I showed him to #4 ACD in Canada, #1 puppy. We tried obedience, but he could never master the long sits and downs. He would sit or lay on the other side of the room and cry or crawl towards me. I decided it was not the worst problem in the world and never showed him in obedience.

As he got older Duster got stiffer and stiffer. Arthritis and hips dysplasia were getting the worst of him. Last winter was really tough for him when it got cold.

Duster died today. I could not stand to see him go through another winter. I held him in my arms as the vet injected him and I cried. I loved him, he was just what I needed and now I really really miss him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It sounds like Duster landed in just the right place for both of you. He came along when you needed him, and you when he needed you. Such a perfect relationship is never easy to see the end of.
Thanks for sharing a little of of what Duster meant to you.

3Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for sharing duster with us
He was ment to be with you and you with him He will be there waiting for you I am sure.

4Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm

KendraG

KendraG

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry that you lost your Duster, but I'm so glad that you shared his story and photo here. When I was a little girl we had an Australian Cattle Dog named Cody, and seeing Duster's little face reminded me of him so much. Thank you for the chance to think of an old friend.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh Sue, I know how a dog can be just that dog for a person - I've had that dog too. I know how you must be hurting right now and my heart breaks for you. Time will pass and you'll smile when you think of Duster. Take all the time you need, and please accept my heartfelt comraderie and love as you go through this tough time.

Thank you for sharing some of what Duster means to you. He looks like a bully of a dog (in that really good way) and I know you must have felt safe when he blew out of that kennel the first time. He would have been so devoted to you. R.I.P. Duster, and bless you Sue for doing the right thing by your Friend. The only thing harder than holding your beloved pet in your arms as he crosses over is not being able to do that. Hard as it was today, it was a gift to be cherished in time. xo

6Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hugs to you. The loss of a friend is never easy. I think every animal leaves a mark on our heart. They give us so much and ask little in return. I commend you for helping him end his pain. It is a tough decision to make. Take comfort in the memories.

7Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That was, Sue, a beautiful tribute to a friend and guardian. He was a blessing to you when you needed him and when life and old age were making him hurt, you were a blessing to him. It seems to me a very fair and honourable exchange.

You will hurt. There is no way around it. I am sorry for this loss and pain, and yet so very happy that you had such a dog, and that this dog was so lucky as to have been yours.

8Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You guys are making me cry again, but that's all right, it is a good cry.

Wasn't Duster a handsome puppy? And you should have seen him move! He really covered ground, with a top line that just floated. He had the most efficient gait I have ever seen.

9Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sorry to hear of your loss Sue...
Sad

10Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 pm

What struck me as I looked at the picture was that while you were in full-on show mode, Duster's gaze is focussed off in the distance, with the calm demeanor of someone who isn't threatened by a possible threat, but is sizing it up as he intends to deal with it. Like the eyes of a good cop or a body guard.

Isn't it just the biggest &$^%ing tragedy that they live for such a short time? It's just so unfair and bloody sad.

Again, big hugs to you Sue.

11Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I\'m Sorry its always hard to lose a member of the family, thanks for sharing his/ your story

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

12Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Sue Crying or Very sad I am so sorry to hear Duster passed away. We were fortunate to meet Duster and I thought he was just so neat and cool. Beautiful old soul. I don't believe in much in this world or the after one but if there is, I do believe there is a place for all creation. May he run & herd in green pastures. Crying or Very sad

13Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for sharing your memories of Duster.

14Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue, I think we share more than a name, but a similar story. I am not just as far along in it. I have my "one" dog, Tempest, as well. He is only four and aside from the destruction sounds a lot like your boy. He would 't let anything hurt me, my kids or my animals. He also suffers with hip dysplasia and is an expensive boy with all of his therapy. But I appreciate everyday with him. He makes me proud, makes me laugh and yes, i fear the day you have just endured. You did the right thing as much as it hurts. He helped you when you needed him most. You did the same for him. That's called love. Hugs.
Smile

15Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 am

foal0069

Sue, Sorry to hear about Duster, the Australian Cattle Dogs are such loyal dogs. In fact so loyal the day our boy went missing I knew before I entered the yard on my way back home from town. He wasn't waiting at the end of the driveway. We lost him to wolves. He couldn't have been a better dog. Hopefully when this life is done and we meet on the other side your Duster and my Bandit will be waiting at the beginning of the path to lead us on. Take care and take the time to grieve. Crying or Very sad

16Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our family recently lost our big dog and it was a hard loss as well. Your story was very well told about Dusters journey with you, Thank you for sharing. Comfort

17Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh dear, this is a sad thing to hear, we all face that inevitable when we have our pets, a sad day, but that choice was made, and he is no longer in pain. You know our thoughts are there, girl. Still find something in the day to make you smile, look to your other pooches, CynthiaM.

18Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 am

Mel

Sorry to hear! It never gets any easier......

19Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh Sue that was so heart warming to read about your Duster. I am sure you will miss him as the weeks follow. It does not take much to bring back a memory as he was such a character.

Have to tell you that I shared some tears when reading your post. Sending you a big hug

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

20Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, thanks for sharing Duster with us. We have owned a red and a blue cattle dog. They are great dogs and give a standard for other dogs to live up to. Sorry he had to go, but it sounds like you both had a great time together.

21Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My heart goes out to you. Loved your story about Duster, he sure sounded like a special guy. Take care.

22Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you for sharing your story Sue, it made me share some memories of my special dog that passed away and I definately feel your pain. It is nice to have had that many years to share with Duster and sounds like you two had some great ones. Comfort

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

23Saying goodbye to Duster Empty Re: Saying goodbye to Duster Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

((((HUGS)))))

I know how much he ment to you and how difficult it must have been.
Truly something done purely out of love.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum