Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Something to ponder, lights and cockerels

+2
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have about 18 female chickens that could have the propensity to lay eggs (there will be 3 more soon at point of lay). Been a time for molting and a time for rest I suppose. For the past month and a half I have only been getting 2 eggs a day. Those have come from my point of lay buff orpington gals. Blah. Two eggs a day, that is what my Husband eats. Nothing for anyone else.

About 2 weeks ago, I thought I might as well turned on the timed lights for the girls. Maybe that will spark interest to begin to lay. Nope. Nothing happened. I expected results too quickly.

I have had a mass of maturing young cockerels, of cochin and buff orpington breeds. Yep, actually 24 that were taken for processing over the past two weeks, on two different occasions. That be a whole lotta honky young dudes. Some were very interested in the girls that were of interest to be mated. Some could not be bothered, but there were a few very honky young fellows out there. My buff orpington rooster had his hands full chasing off these fellows, I think he lost a whole lotta weight, smiling.

Yes, to point at hand. Only been getting two eggs a day. The last of the cockerels left last Wednesday for the abbatoir. Leaving only 4 males that would be of the breeding age. The birds are all free ranging, as I am not worried about inter-breed breeding right now. The separation will come when the snow flies and the birds won't be out of their yards. That is 4 males (the mottled java cockerel has not shown interest yet in strutting his stuff) that could have a possibility of 18 females for the expression of interest in the opposite sex.

That was Wednesday that the last of the boys left. Saturday I got 11 eggs. Nine the following day, and since then between 9-11.

This is what I ponder and I think I know the answer. Was it the lights? Or was it the lack of the gals running for their lives as honky young dudes are trying to master the art of staying on the hen's back.

In all reality, I am leaning towards happier hens. Not being chased all over the blazes half acre to get away from these adolescent fellows. They have a chance to eat, to mull over if they wish to go into a nest box, unharrassed, to spend that quiet time to bring on the egg through their body.

Maybe it was the lights.

Maybe it was the reduction of a goodly amount of honky males.

Maybe it was just time.

Maybe it was just maybe. Who knows. But I am happy cause we are getting increasing numbers of eggs. Bring on the egg!! Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have no answers, so I will share a change I am making. I usually provide light throughout the winter so I have eggs. This year I am going to change it up a little and start providing light a month before I want to begin hatching. I am thinking a little rest period for a few months may not be too bad.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, I think I am going to try the same thing. I have to say the PChants are great layers in the cold anyways and the F1s seem to be the same. I am getting regular eggs from them with no light at this stage anyways. The other breeds I am getting nothing.
I plan to start to add a bit of light in the middle to end of Feb. I have to say I never add more that 12 hours of light either. Seems to work for me.

CynthiaM I think those boys were stopping your eggs. They surely were stopping the girls from laying in the nest boxes. I have seen many cockerels lay in wait by the nest boxes to jump the girls. It was one place they knew they would go everyday and could be trapped and cornered. Now your girls can go back to stress free laying where they want to.

So I think you are right, happier hens for sure. And congratulations on all the eggs! Wink

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hope processing the young roos helps here. Two eggs is more than we've been getting from our dozen older hens and an equal number of young pullets. Our set up is a bit different because we don't free range. The hens and pullets are inside a new coop and the roosters are in an outside run. We have gooten an egg from the old hens and several from the pullets this week so maybe it is time.

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It was definitely the boys in my opinion. Your girls will be much happy without the males harassing them all the time. Happy happy girls and lots of eggs can it be better.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My first thought was that you had boys who were egg eaters. When the boys go and eggs suddenly appear...my first suspicion is always egg eaters.

It doesn't take long for a rooster lurking near a nest box to harass a hen to discover that a stepped on egg is a tasty treat! And if you had a gang of boys who learned to eat eggs, it wouldn't take long for them to clean up the evidence.

I find the absence or appearance of eggs is usually a gradual thing, over time. Any rise in eggs that quickly would make me think you'd been getting those eggs all along, only someone got to them before you did! But I have a suspicious mind...

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Any rise in eggs that quickly would make me think you'd been getting those eggs all along, only someone got to them before you did! But I have a suspicious mind...

This could be a possbility here. I have a nice Black Cochin rooster in with the pullets that has been caught with egg on his beak before. He is going to find a different place to spend the winter.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Shocked Embarassed . Uno trust you to think of something so logical, but then maybe not. That could be what was going on, but I don't think so. I have super duper clean nest boxes and if there was an egg broken and some sucker sucking it up and out, there would be some sign of gick on the straw, seriously. Pretty sure there would be some kind of evidence of yuckiness on the straw, they couldn't eat up every drop of egg, especially sticky yolk. Good try though, smiling that big smile. I am positive it was those honky young cockerels, and I only saw some that I knew were interested in females. There was a propensity to have had 24 wanting to bonk the girls. Of course, there are some that were not mature as others, but there was at least below 10 in number that I would be pretty sure. More I think about it, more I suspect honky conky cockerels. Oh well, it is good, 9 yesterday again....now for more, need more eggs, need more eggs, need more eggs!! Only have 2 dozen to bring down to my family on the coast....need more eggs, need more eggs....maybe today every last one of the gals will be laying, and maybe tomorrow too, and maybe Friday before we leave for our journey...then I could bring down at least a dozen for each of my family members to have on their breadfast tables. Did I mention I need more eggs Razz beautiful days to us all, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum