Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looks like I may lose a hen

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Looks like I may lose a hen Fri May 06, 2011 7:40 pm

One of my new BLRWs is looking Mareks-ish. She was looking unhappy, then suddenly she just flopped over. Crying or Very sad

She bit my sleeve when I picked her up, so that end's working. Her vent is "pooching" and there's an odd sound (like clicking) coming from inside her, but I can't feel any eggs in her close to her vent.

I put her in a cat carrier with water and a bit of warm scrambled egg. I hope she makes it. I don't have anything for drugs on hand, but if there's something I could get at the farm store I'm willing to give it a try. I'm off to search more about her symptoms.

2Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How old is she? If she's biting she's still quite alert, did she eat the egg?

3Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Well after spending the night inside the house, she was standing up in the kennel, so I brought it outside to see if she's leave it. She did. She walked off, dragging her toes slightly (could have been because she was cramped up in the little kennel??) and promptly jumped into the nesting/laying box. So....fingers crossed! I will let you know how she is later. I don't want to disturb her if she's just starting to lay and having problems, but I'll keep a close eye on her to see how she is.

She did eat some egg and had a few little cups of water since yesterday afternoon, so I doubt it's Marek's. It was very strange though, that she was just flopped over on her side, so I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her.

Cheers.

4Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 7:08 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That's good to hear. I had a hen awhile ago kind of like that, I think it was a rooster injury, I kept her in the alley way and in a few days she was fine.

5Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Thank you. I hope she's fine too. I hate to see them injured or sick.

6Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 7:35 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey! Could have been a pinched nerve or she may have pulled a muscle somehow.

So happy to see she is nearly back to normal! Yay!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

7Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sat May 07, 2011 11:48 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That clicking noise, unless coming directly from a foreign object in the throat, is usually lung related. I have had hens who had trauma (dog bite or got wedged in some tight spot) make that click. Was it happening regularly, like it was brought on by breathing? A damaged lung can make that noise.

8Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 am

Once she was in the kennel she was panting a little, but the clicking was coming from the other end.

I had a big sleep in this morning and am just about to head outside. Hopefully she did alright overnight. She was perched when I closed them up last night.

9Looks like I may lose a hen Empty Re: Looks like I may lose a hen Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 am

Well, just to end this post on a high note, after a few days back in the coop, she seems 100% back to normal! Yay!!

Maybe she was in shock due to laying her first eggs?? There have been two new, tiny pullet eggs in the nest box every day (she came as half a pair) so who knows. Or like you say, maybe she pinched a nerve, or a dog or horse chased her (doubtful, I was right there). But anyway, I'm hoping it's all in the past now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum