Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help with OEG bantams

+2
k.r.l
KathyS
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help with OEG bantams Empty Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I picked up a group of OEG Bantam chicks at the spring POPWA sale. My youngest daughter immediately adopted them and took over their care completely. They have been lots of fun for her, but now she is expressing interest in showing the 2 little hens. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about OEG, so I don't even know if they are a mix of color varieties, or if pure for their color, what is it called? Any help from you Old English breeders is much appreciated!

Help with OEG bantams Bantams

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:04 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kathy I think the closest hen is a Silver Duckwing? But I don't raise them so it is just my best guess. Not sure if the farther hen is lighter in color or if the sun is just shining on her?

3Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is this one of those breeds that is supposed to be dubbed?

4Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

yes, the cocks would need to be dubbed, which is the reason she is only looking into showing the females. The 2 roosters are gorgeous!
Kyle the color in the photo of the hen farther back is pretty much exactly how she looks in real life. I have my SOP out, trying to decifer varieties, and I think you may be right about the Silver Duckwing. Could the other be red pyle?

5Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great minds.... I was thinking red pyle for the roo...but the neck should be red. Red Pyle is one of my favorite color patterns.

6Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kathy
Your male bird is a Fawn Duckwing, The grey female is a Silver Duckwing and the other female looks to be a Sport (like a splash in the blues)or she could be a poorly colored Fawn Duckwing female I can't tell from the picture for sure

If you breed Fawn to Fawn you get 25% Silverduckwing, 50% Fawn Duckwing and 25% Sports
Fawn to Silver Duckwing gives 50% Silverduckwing and 50% Fawn Duckwing
Sport to Silver Duckwing gives 100% Fawn Duckwing
Sport to Sport gives 100% Sport

I had them some years back and they are an interesting color.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

7Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Kathy
Hard to tell if my computer is showing the true colors
The front hen does look like a silver Duck Duck Wing Pullet
The Back Pullet Looks Like could be a Blue Wheaten
as for the Cockeral his coloring loos Blueish if he was a Silver Duckwing he would be Black where I am seeing the Blueish. Maybe Fawn
As for Dubbing it is really not that hard to do after you do a couple it goes easy.(kinda)
and you can show a OEGB Cockerel undubbed up to November of the year.
after that they have to be dubbed
here is a site I belong to that you might enjoy when you get time
http://www.oldenglishgamebantams.com/discussions

Bunch of great people that love the OEGB and show alot and they feel no question is a dumb question
There is also a good pdf on dubbing with pics written by a Judge. Heather is also on the it.
I do like that pullet and the cockerel
Looks like he might turn out nice,
Oh and you dont dubb until the sickle feathers are in

Joe

Last edited by appway on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)

8Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:51 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, oh, oh, cool....I know nothing of that breed, but they are so cute. I really think that young birds when they are young, imagine that, are so cute with the eyes they have. They always look to me at a certain age, and this goes for all chicks that I have noticed this with is that there is a point where their eyes look to big for their heads. Only seems to last for a little while, then the eyes are normal to head size. I get a kick out of youngsters that are at this gawky stage and they look at ya, big googley eyes, cute as the dickens. You got some cute little ones there. Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

9Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:11 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well this is all very interesting! I did not even know about the fawn variety let alone the results of breeding Fawn to Silver Duckwing. That picture was from back in July when they were still quite young. The 3 hens are all laying very well now, and we are enjoying their little white eggs. Hmmm...it would be fun to do some incubating...
But no. Unfortunately the pen they are in will be needed before too long for separating my large chickens for breeding, so the bantam group will be offered for sale. I think we will reserve a cage or 2 in the sales area at the Red Deer show to display them. Kristen is OK with that as she has a lot of other responsibilities right now and looking forward to cutting down on her animals a bit. But she asked if she could show a couple of them at Red Deer just to find out more about them and be involved in exhibiting.
I had heard that these little cockerels could have be shown undubbed at the summer show, but wasn't sure of the cut off. So is it too late to show them undubbed Nov 23/24th?

Joe, I do appreciate the dubbing info, but I think it would be upsetting for my daughter (and me too, to be honest) so I don't think we'll go there. But the whole family has really enjoyed this experience of learning about these adorable little chickens. They are so vocal and chattery, always talking! Even the high-pitched crowing has grown on me. I never would have thought it, but I have to say OEGs could be a bit addicting! Rolling Eyes

10Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:Well this is all very interesting! I did not even know about the fawn variety let alone the results of breeding Fawn to Silver Duckwing. That picture was from back in July when they were still quite young. The 3 hens are all laying very well now, and we are enjoying their little white eggs. Hmmm...it would be fun to do some incubating...
But no. Unfortunately the pen they are in will be needed before too long for separating my large chickens for breeding, so the bantam group will be offered for sale. I think we will reserve a cage or 2 in the sales area at the Red Deer show to display them. Kristen is OK with that as she has a lot of other responsibilities right now and looking forward to cutting down on her animals a bit. But she asked if she could show a couple of them at Red Deer just to find out more about them and be involved in exhibiting.
I had heard that these little cockerels could have be shown undubbed at the summer show, but wasn't sure of the cut off. So is it too late to show them undubbed Nov 23/24th?

Joe, I do appreciate the dubbing info, but I think it would be upsetting for my daughter (and me too, to be honest) so I don't think we'll go there. But the whole family has really enjoyed this experience of learning about these adorable little chickens. They are so vocal and chattery, always talking! Even the high-pitched crowing has grown on me. I never would have thought it, but I have to say OEGs could be a bit addicting! Rolling Eyes

Hi Kathy the Cut off date of showing un-dubbed is Nov. 1st of the year hatched
but she could show the Hens
Do you have any up to date pics
Oh and tell her to have fun with them The OEGB is alot of fun and addicting
Joe
PS here is another site
http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=OEGB_(US_type)

11Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:23 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I went out to the barn to take a few pics, but wouldn't you know it, my camera battery died before I could get the roosters to pose pretty. They strut so proudly! And it looks like one hen has filled her crop to the max Rolling Eyes

Help with OEG bantams Bantam2

Help with OEG bantams Bantam4

Help with OEG bantams Bantam5

Help with OEG bantams Bantam6

12Help with OEG bantams Empty Re: Help with OEG bantams Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kathy
In the last picture the one female is a Fawn Duckwing Sport. The other female is a Black Breasted Red and the cockerel in picture number 2 is a Black Breasted Red or as I call them BBR

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum