Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beef Parts

+2
authenticfarm
ChickenTeam
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Beef Parts Empty Beef Parts Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

So all of you who fill their freezer with a whole steer, do you eat the liver, tongue, and heart? Any favourite preparations? We were given a steer and now every square inch of freezer space is crammed with various cuts of beef, mostly ground. Personally, I would rather the freezers were full of chicken and turkey, but you can't argue with free. My 10 scrawny roosters in freezer camp are rather difficult to get at right now! Does anyone cook the "extras" and feed them to their chickens? I did give them a little of the copious amounts of liver, which they loved, and was wondering if it would be good to save it for those cold winter days when a little extra protein and nutrition would be helpful. I only have 2 children who liked the liver, so there is plenty for the chickens, if that would be good for them. I prefer chicken liver, and was so disappointed that butchers can't package them up for me when they process my roosters. Thanks for you thoughts!

2Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:28 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We feed the extra vittles to our outdoor dogs as treats throughout the year - I do the same with chicken livers etc. when we have had meat chickens in the past. Keeps the dogs happy and close to the house, since they never know when a treat is coming, they tend to stick around in hopes of a pleasant surprise!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We will eat a little of the beef liver, heart and tongue but there is always so much - so yes, the dogs get the older ones, "beef popsicles" in summer and defrosted in winter. But caution on liver, too much is not a good thing for dogs and perhaps the same for chicken?

If you don't like a "livery" taste soak the liver in milk for an hour or so before cooking (liver,onions, bacon). The dogs will love the bloody milk and even those who say they don't like liver may eat the liver happily.

I like getting chicken liver back too but the butcher says the meat inspector is quick to throw out any liver that is in the least unusual looking - small, big, odd shaped, unusual colour - doesn't test it, just tosses it, so we rarely get ours back either.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I really like the gizzards! Wait...never mind....

5Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Don't forget the tail and hooves too!

6Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oxtail soup is fantastic!

My dogs love to chew on cow hooves.

7Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree - oxtail is fantastic. All sorts of great recipes, just google! Dogs will chew on hooves but either I need more dogs or fewer cows.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

There are some real good Caribbean dishes where you cook up the hooves!

9Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I distinctly remember my when my Opa came over to Canada from Germany. He was delighted to see that the price of beef tongue was dirt cheap. You pay a fortune for it in Germany. I think we had beef tongue every week when he visited.

The Germans also have beef parts all wrapped up in their sausage (so to speak).

My favourite is Blutwurst. It consists of chunks of fat, tongue and congealed blood stuffed into a section of large intestine. It is fantastic!

We also loved cows tongue in aspic sausage.

10Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My husband and I almost divorced over ox tail soup. Not a funny story.

11Beef Parts Empty Re: Beef Parts Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:39 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:My husband and I almost divorced over ox tail soup. Not a funny story.

You can't drop a bomb like that without backup! Tell the story! If you are telling it Uno, I am sure there will be a modicum of humor.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum