Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carnwood/Edmonton/Nisku to Kamloops/Okanagan

+2
Schipperkesue
calliope
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

calliope

calliope

Hi,
Looking for a ride for a dozen month-old Showgirls. These are bantie-sized chicks so won't require much room. Going from Carnwood (or can be picked up from Nisku area) to Kamloops/Okanagan area, anytime that anyone can take them!

Thanks a bunch! Smile

Last edited by calliope on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification on quantity)

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is quite a stretch, Calliope! Best of luck. Maybe someone coming to the Beehive next week would be interested.

IPF? Are you out there?

These Chickies would probably fit in a box the size of a cat crate and not need much heat if they are together.

calliope

calliope

That would be great if anyone is coming to my area. I can meet them anywhere from Kamloops to the Shuswap area, south to Vernon or Kelowna (or Armstrong to Grinrod). Lots of possibilities and would give some $$ for their trouble too Smile

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ACE courier does that rout i believe, ask renneggaide on here he just shipped some orloffs to kamloops i believe.. Smile

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

And here I thought you were planning a trip to BC, TripleJ! Would have been perfect seeing as how you live right down the road from me!

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

End of august we went to kelowna, I coulda taken them that far but we are done holidays for the year Sad

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Calliope, for sure check out ACE courier, like was mentioned. Kamloops is not really that far from you. It might not cost that much. Find out for surely. Good luck, hope you can get your showgirls there, lovely!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

calliope

calliope

Thanks, you guys. There is an ACE authorized depot at the Westwold store not far from me but I thought they only took day-olds. I will check it out Smile

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Glen shipped fullsize birds there a couple months ago Smile

Try googling the Ace Courier site they have an estimator where you enter the size of box and the weight, It gives you an idea of the cost to ship. They will ship adult birds, with no responsibility upon themselves or their drivers, so be diligent about your preparations. My customer and I had a very good experience with them but like they said they will take no responsibility for the animals.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

This surprises me. Earlier this year I called Ace and they said they would not take live animals due to air circulation issues. They stack their boxes and could not guarantee that my air holes would be blocked.

Have they changed their procedure or did I just have an unknowlegable staff member?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never used them to ship adult birds, good to know they would be willing though.
I have used them many times to ship day old chicks and never an issue, I did try once to Triple J I think with a bit older chicks and we didnt have a good shipment that time, but never have had a bad one since.
I have shipped from Medicine Hat to Castlegar, that is the furthest. I havent tried anywhere in the Okanagan before though.

Sue I have had trouble with Edmonton depot before, the ladies answering the phones dont always know what they are talking about. My depot in Medicine Hat is owned/run by the same guy and so he is very knowledgable and helpful with shipments.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Ace Edmonton handles all the Miller Hatchery deliveries, and yes the handling and care may change from depot to depot depending on the people working. The big issue they cited to me at the office was that the trucks are unheated/air conditioned. I was trying to set up a system with them for western canada deliveries but they will take absolutely no responsibility so I cant in good conscience set up any kind of delivery system using them. Id play ball if they were willing to play too but munny without responsibility scratches me the wrong way. This said, I will use them in the future but knowing that its a pain in my/your arse to work around issues so everything turns out right for customers receiving birds. Geez yu kno everything else gets some responsibility why not our birds?

calliope

calliope

I did get some day-old chicks sent out with ACE from Red Deer to Westwold, BC, a couple of years ago and they arrived okay. They did tell me that the trucks weren't heated and there was no guarantee on anything, though. I tried calling but their office is not open weekdays. I'll try on Monday and report back here Very Happy

Here's a link for the shipping calculator, it's pretty generalized though: ACE shipping calculator

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

WestJet flies from Kamloops to Calgary to Edmonton to Calgary to Kamloops daily. The plane stays overnight in Kamloops and gets back to Kamloops about 7:30 PM.

calliope

calliope

Thanks, Rosewood, I guess I should check them out, too, but I imagine they would be a lot more expensive, plus the gas to go to Kamloops and back has to be considered now, as well, with gas prices the way they are Rolling Eyes

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too am over an hour from the airport.

calliope

calliope

Okay, Sue, you just saved me some work then, LOL, nix on the plane this time Smile

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is a long shot but Ipf mentioned being here end of September. You could contact here and see what her schedule is like.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Also, Butterboy from the other forum will be here next weekend. He lives near Calgary. You may be able to find a ride from Calgary to you.

calliope

calliope

Sue and I are still working on this. There's an overnight ACE truck from Edmonton to Vernon, which would work out fabulously for both me and the birds. Sue thinks she can get someone to take them from her place to Nisku, and ACE will pick them up from there in time to make it to the Edmonton terminal and catch the overnight truck to Vernon. Fingers crossed everyone pleeeaasssseeeee!!!! Laughing

calliope

calliope

Okay, mission accomplished! Ten showgirls were boxed up and carted from Sue's farm to her hubby's workplace in Nisku. ACE Courier picked them up from there in the early afternoon, took them to their Edmonton terminal, transferred them to a truck that took them to Calgary, then overnight to Vernon, with instructions to hold for pickup at the ACE office.

I picked them up in Vernon the next morning, and they made the trip with no incident. The freight charge was around $30.00 for the overnight service, which I thought was quite reasonable. The driver who took them from Edmonchuk to Calgary actually phoned me long distance that evening to ask me what they were! He said he took a photo of them and emailed it to his girlfriend, and they were both wondering what the heck they were, LOL!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

It was a smooooth operation! $30 is very reasonable.

Calliope, LOVE your new avatar!

calliope

calliope

Schipperkesue wrote:Calliope, LOVE your new avatar!

Thanks, Sue, I just LOVE these little Showgirls! Awesome birds Very Happy Thanks so much for persevering to get them to me! Chicken

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh la, la, now if that isn't just nice. I think personally that $30 for the trip is a very good price. Wow, certainly would have expected more. I can see more people using ACE courier for transport of their goods, that being birds....coool. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum