Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Computer help needed!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Computer help needed! Empty Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:04 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just got a new computer. Trying to download my pictures and all that. I confess now, I would have more luck defusing a bomb than dealing with this computer!

I am wanting to download Vuze, so I click all the download buttons. Then it asks me if I will allow Vuze to make changes to this computer.

What? Wait! What kind of changes? What does that mean, 'changes'? How come no one explains this stuff? I am all freaked out now. Now I have 3 new icons on my desktop and apparently, no Vuze.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I thought we had a computer section, couldn't find it.

2Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

pardon this dumb question, but what kind of program is that VuZe?

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

3Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:46 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's for downloading music and stuff like that. I think. I am not the one to explain this stuff. I am too busy defusing a bomb.

4Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Keibler77

Keibler77

Uno--do you mind if I ask what computer you have? I also use Vuze....as a matter of fact...I LOVE Vuze....using it as we speak to burn a movie for the young ones. I have a Macbook Pro and I have never had a problem with Vuze. Can you tell me what icons you are seeing?

Grandma Art--Ok...so I will try to explain Vuze without giving you a severe headache. Ha! Alright...I used to download music and movies the hard way. One program to download the movie-something like Bittorrent; another program to convert the movie file from computer format to a format that will play on a DVD player; and yet another program to actually burn the movie to disk. Well Vuze does everything in one program. It downloads the movie, converts it for either DVD, iPad, Android phone, PSP, XBOX, PS3, etc., and then burns the movie. All in one..no muss no fuss. It really is a fantastic program and the developers deserve the meager 25 dollars a year they charge.

Uno--if you're still having problems I would love to help if I can Smile

5Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Kiebler.

My computer is an Acer (off the shelf from Staples). It has a teradactyl of bites. Dinosaur sized space.

One icon is Softonic International. Looks like a box with an open lid.

Next icon is the Vuze install 4j wizard. It says, 'could not find runtime Java environment', then tells me I can download one or search my system for one. Do I have that? I have NO CLUE.

HSS - 2.52 install-plain-382 this icon, when I click it says, "do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?"

I sure hope this is helpful, but I have a bad feeling about this!

6Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Vuze sounds VERY interesting. I am not familar with it.

7Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Keibler77

Keibler77

Ok I guess my first question is are you downloading the free trial version or did you buy the Vuze Plus? Second, the icon HSS - 2.52 install-plain-382 is a Hotspot shield which is designed to protect your computer from spyware and such while you are downloading. Anytime you download and/or share files via the internet your computer is open to spyware, this hotspot shield will protect you from that. The runtime java error could mean that you don't have the latest version of Java installed. I would double check and install the most up to date version of Java.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Softonic International is a software download portal. It's simply a portal that Vuze uses for some of the downloads it will pull. The only annoying thing about Softonic is that it will often try to download a toolbar onto your browser. If given the option, I would opt out of this toolbar or at least delete it afterward. First thing to do is check that your Java is up to date. Then if you wouldn't mind letting me know which version of Vuze you are getting? Boy oh boy, I wish I lived closer in situations like this to help out more! Very Happy

8Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I downloaded Java, since it said I didn't have it. Also installed the Hot Spot thingy.

I used to have the free version of Vuze. Old version. Never used it to burn anything. Did all my burning with Nero. Never asked it to convert any files since I pick very carefully through which torrents to download. If I do not find one that looks just right, our antique DVD players will not play it!

So this time around do I go for the free or the $25 a year? In truth I do very little downloading. Our connection is just one grade above dial up and a download can take HOURS! Some obscure downloads have taken WEEKS. (The Milagro Bean Field War)

What is the difference between the free version and the paid?

9Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:20 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can try giving you some help. I'm not familiar with "Vuze". If you want to use this program it seems it needs Java, which is a common program to run. Your computer likely at this stage doesn't have Java, but it can be downloaded safely.
"HSS - 2.52 install-plain-382" is a file sharing program which I wouldn't install unless I had a use for the program. "Softonic International" allows you to download games and music. There may a cost for all three programs. Music and movies are high costs here on our wireless internet. Windows 7 will ask if you want to make changes to your computer. On this computer there is an "Administrator" password necessary to make changes.

10Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do make sure you have a good virus program that is up to date.

11Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Keibler77

Keibler77

Rosewood is absolutely correct...I should have mentioned the administrator permissions depending on the operating system and if your computer is new, then yes you would have the Windows 7. My mac is set up the same way...any time I install new software it asks me for the password.

The only difference between the free Vuze and the paid Vuze is that with the paid you have unlimited DVD burns. The free version allows one or two burns to try it out but you can still download all you want. If you aren't into burning very many then I would stick with the free version.

12Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My virus protection is Norton. Didn't really want it but it was part of the 'package' so here it is. At least it is up to date.

If this asks for a password, what do I do? They didn't give me a password when I bought the computer.

For me it sounds like the free version will be adequate.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Let me know more if...wait, most of this goes over my head anyway. I shall proceed back to Vuze.

13Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Windows 7 may be set up without using a password to make changes, but it will still ask if you want to make changes. I have mine password protected because family members sometimes want to make changes. I don't mind this, but I want to know about the changes.

14Computer help needed! Empty Re: Computer help needed! Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Norton is fine. It likely is a trial version for "x" number of days. If you didn't get a password don't worry about it as Windows 7 is set to work without a password.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum