Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What a morning!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What a morning! Empty What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, I still have Ms Tufts our hen with her adopted Cochin chicks in the house. I put her and the chicks out in the front yard and went in to get coffee. I got tracked by my 3rd old showing off his building talents and so as I poured my coffee I heard Ms Tufts Bok Awking super loud at the front door and pecking at the door. I thought that weird and when I opened door she was still going off and no chicks. Oh god I looked up and 2 big ravens taking flight from my front lawn and another circling over head. I said some pretty bad words in my head as my 3rd old was with me and went in search of chicks. 10 mins later still no signs as I continued my string of very bad words in my head and wondering how to tell my son his chicks had become raven food. I heard a peep under the front stairs and when I put the still squawking Ms Tufts down out came the little roo chick. No sign of the girl. I got my 3rd old to get in there and have a look but nothing. I picked up ms tufts and her roo chick and heard a far off peep. I went searching my big paddock but eventually found her smushed against the basement window on the side of the house. Phew so glad I don't have to deliver bad news to my son! Ms Tufts has a bit of blood on her foot but it's stopped and she has a clean bed so she'll be fine. She is a darn good mom and a tuff little thing! Smarter than I thought too with her right up at the door getting my attention. Family is all safe and happy with her now purring over her 3wk (today) chicks. I shooed the rest of the flock into the secure areas just to be safe.

I then turned my duck eggs in my incubator and 2 were already making squeaky toys sounds! My 3rd old so excited and heard the tap tap tapping so we moved them to my new hatcher Smile now I'm off to do some work as my chicken keeper is turning 8yrs this weekend and has invited his entire class for a b-day party tomorrow and I've spent 2days walking a colicking horse. Sigh she's feeling magically better today and now I'm so far behind in chores.

2What a morning! Empty Re: What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh my goodness! What a morning, I am so glad the chicks are okay Smile I can't wait to hear how many duckling you hatch, that is so great.

3What a morning! Empty Re: What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow I hope things continue to look up for you. How stressful! First your horse, then your peepers, and then a class full of 8-year-olds! That would do me in. LOL

Glad all is well for now.

4What a morning! Empty Re: What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:49 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx Amy. I have 4 Cayuga and 5 Buffs in my newly built hatcher and my temp and humidity looks perfect!! I have so many temp and humidity thingys there's hardly room for eggs LOL. This is my very first duckling hatch and one of my buff eggs has had a big spider web crack over the air sac since week 2 but lots of movement going on so I'm hopeful it'll hatch fine. May 2nd should be 28 days so I was going to move them tonight afterschool but when I heard cheepin I moved them right away and I have a plexiglas front window so we can watch without opening Smile. It's going to be a busy and exciting weekend

5What a morning! Empty Re: What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx Farmchiq! My son is in grade 2 but he goes to a Montessori school so his 23 classmates are grade 1-3 so some kids older and some younger. Oh and the neighbor kids are coming too! Oh well it's only 2hrs and it's outside Smile he goes to school in town so pony rides, tug a war and other games with some cake and ice cream should have happy kids. Then hubby and I can open a bottle of wine and soak in the hot tub Smile

6What a morning! Empty Re: What a morning! Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Oh I hope you have great luck with your hatch! The eggs you gave me are coming along nicely. So far 2 Buffs have hatched, 2 more pipped, and all 4 Cayugas are pipped (since last night). The suspense is killing me I just want them out so I can meet them!

Jaclyn

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum