Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peahens have two chicks

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Peahens have two chicks Empty Peahens have two chicks Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 am

rbryne

rbryne

Boy what a summer. No time to chat too busy getting yet another building ready for
birds. Did not add to existing flock this year at all. I have however had a lot of
fun with my Peafowl. I was remiss in collecting eggs and one of my hens went broody
on four eggs and another hen started adding to the number until she added four and also
went broody. Both hens sat on the eggs. About a week before I expected any to hatch
(if at all) I found an broken egg with a mostly developed chick in the outside run
area. No idea what happened. On the day that I calculated should be the hatch day I
went out and looked under the hens (not easy to do without gloves) and there was one
chick. Later that afternoon I went out and the hens were off the nest and they had
two little chicks. I checked the other eggs and they were cold so I discarded them.
By late that afternoon the two moms had the babies in the outside run area (with my
other 4 year old birds and my 5 year old Peacock (dad). I was concerned what may
happen but everybody was just curious and the moms together did a great job of keeping
the chicks close and safe. We put out a couple of low saucers with water for the
little ones and I sprinkled some chick starter around for them. That was on Thur.
of last week. Today they are doing great running around with moms jumping and
flapping their little wings. Gail and I spend hours just watching the goings on and
my building is not building itself.

Has anyone else let their Peahens raise their own babies? If so how did they make
out. I suspect that if we can make it another week or so we should be in fairly
good shape to get these birds to adulthood.

Sorry to not have checked in to see how everybody is doing but I am sure we are all
in the same boat trying to get ready for winter of 2012 and spring of 2013.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum