Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

duckling found half out of shell, yolk partly broken from thief

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

niglefritz

I know that this duckling most likely won't live, but the kids brought it in to see what we might be able to do. There is no blood coming from the animal itself, but as the title thread says, its yolk got broken somewhere.

Inside the house, it has warmth, it is on an old washcloth in a small food container, and it has moved a bit. It was breathing a lot more 1 1/2 hours ago and did have a tiny peep then, but is still breathing a tiny bit and blinking every so often. i am not sure how far away it was from hatching on its own...maybe a day or two?

Is there anything else we can do for it?

I have the feeling that I am going to get the advice on here to just kill it quickly.

We do plan on taking a closer look at it after it dies, so the kids can learn about this stage (and me too).

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I had one like that the other day, do you have it under heat? Mom duck keeps them under her for the first day or so... so maybe make sure the duckling is warm enough? My duckling made it. Something had taken the half hatched egg out of a nest and took it clear across the yard. Found it in the morning so I dont know how long it was there. The only reason I found it was I thought it was a eaten egg and was going to toss it but there was a bit of movement in the egg when I looked. The egg was very cool, thats why never thought of it being a fully developed duckling.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

niglefritz

No, we don't have it under heat, except trying to keep it in the sun. It is so hot in here...and humid too. I was concerned that the heat might dry out the yolk sac, and it seems as though it is anyway. I am not sure if it was starting to hatch already or if it got "helped along" by whatever stole it. It is still breathing, although just barely. It is mostly out of the shell, but I am afraid to take it all the way out as I don't know what all might still be attached to what.

I read to wrap it in a warm, moist cloth. I also read to put it into an incubator (don't have one). I read too to keep it warm and dry. So, all in all, I am really not sure what to do. I also read to feed it sugar water and egg yolk. I don't think that it is strong enough to have me do that and how would one do that anyway? Ideas? It really isn't moving much anymore. Considering that I am barely seeing it breathing now, I wonder if it is too far gone to do any more.

niglefritz

Update...our duckling died. I figured that it was to be expected.

5duckling found half out of shell, yolk partly broken from thief Empty dudkling found half out of shell... Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sorry about your duckling...This has happened to us a few times. A few lived, a few died. I guess it depends on the stage that the duckling is at. We have put them in an aquarium under two lights or on a heating pad. Our last one was born blind. Magoo lived and is fine now, (still blind and swims in circles, but is gaining weight and doing well otherwise)I think it is the luck of the draw.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum