Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :(

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Empty French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm

chickadee

chickadee

Her eyes Sad Leaky and when I very gently wipe she looses chunks of hair Sad

[img]French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Img_0110[/img]

Her ears Sad They are one big scab and her leather is falling apart Sad I just want to cry. The other buck we got has an ear issue as well but not like this does. She is also due to have kits today. The other two rabbits we have are completely fine.

I give up trying to post pictures. It isn't working properly. I'll try later after I go scream outside. Just joking, maybe I'll have a coffee instead. I'm bummed.

Help? I am heartbroken, confused and lost.

The breeder says ear mites but I don't think so. Can't take her to the vet because she is working on her nest. It almost looks like something chewed her but I am 1000% sure that didn't happen.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did the ears start with scabs around the edges? Then the scabby part just started to fall off? I had that years ago, and i think i can remember what I did. I would clean them with hand sanitizer gel, wiping from the ear canal out. Then I would use an antibacterial cream, alternating with an anti fungal cream to treat the whole ear, as well as an ear mite drop just in case. Mine was NOT ear mites.

For the eyes, get polysporin eye drops and treat her 2-3 times daily.

Does she have any discharge from the nose?

chickadee

chickadee

Can I email you some pictures, Sue? I can't post them. The first picture was 110 and even though I am picking new pictures, 155, 159 etc they all post as 110 (the eye picture).

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sure, email away!

chickadee

chickadee

Smile Could you PM your email?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sure, but you can also click on the email button under my avatar.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The skin on a rabbit is probably the most sensitive of all types of skins, it is also very thin and the hair will let go quickly when irritation happens. Teary eyes, leaking of tears through the tearduct into the hair can start this and cause a sort of hot spot. The eye drops will help and I have seen them like that recover without a problem. But teary eyes can be chronic and can relate to bad teeth and/or scull development in a discomforting way (head conformation) Let her take care of her kits first then the BEST thing if you suspect mites is one vile of revolution for cats drops on the skin in the neck, it will take care of the mites, all of them.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

chickadee

chickadee

That's good to know about the revolution. I have some here but didn't want to use it yet. It can't be ear mites. Just doesn't make sense. The vet thinks maybe Pasteurella. She has to wait for the culture swab to come back.
Piet, I could email you some pictures to see.

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Email away. The nose looks dry to me and pastrurella starts with boogers and then crusts around the nose. Who is your vet? The vet will take your money enough to buy 5 new rAbbits and still give you no results. The rabbit part of canadian vetschool is a real 20 minute long subject and the rest is just practiced by guessing and trail and error. Revolution wont harm the pregnancy or kits, it causes immediate relief and that way eliminates the guessing even if it is not mites it wont hurt doing it. The eye is a long way from the heart, just cheap eye drops and be patient.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

chickadee

chickadee

My vet is a pretty good vet. She is very down to earth, honest and cuts me a break here and there.
I agree about the dry nose. The swab will tell, I hope. I will send you some pics of the ears. They said they probably won't grow back.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

chickadee wrote:Can I email you some pictures, Sue? I can't post them. The first picture was 110 and even though I am picking new pictures, 155, 159 etc they all post as 110 (the eye picture).
Sorry tohear about the troubles with your rabbit.. Sad
If you hit preview instead of post after you do 1 pic and then go back to it you can choose another pic and it will allow you to do that.
If that makes any sense?
I could never figure out how to post more than 1 pic without first posting one and then editing it and adding another....the preview thing seems to clear the brain so it can accept another pic, anyone help me out here if there is another simpler way to do this please!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

12French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Empty Re: French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 pm

chickadee

chickadee

I tried doing that. I tried all sorts of things.

On another topic.....Dry Kill or D. Earth? For rabbits, goats, chickens, dogs etc

chickadee

chickadee

The rabbit has a staph infection. I got her on June 1. My breeder friend figures she came with it. It started two weeks after she came here and I let it go longer than I should have because I thought it was just a couple bites or maybe she was rubbing on her cage.

She is on APO-sulfatrim but I was wondering if anyone knows about Bird Sulfa? I have some here as I keep it on hand. Can I use the bird sulfa?

The hole in her one ear is so bad her whole ear might have to be surgically removed or she might get it caught and rip it off.

She has 8 kits, 3 have died. Hopefully the last 5 make it.

This is ending my daughters current and very short rabbit fancy. Perhaps we might try again in a couple years, but for now we are done.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Too bad Chickadee Sad

Please don't let a poor start ruin your interest in the fancy. You can get past this and move on. Rabbits are worth it!

chickadee

chickadee

Are they? I'll leave it up to my daughter but for now we will stick with our two pet rabbits that have never had any problems. Thanks for all your help Sue!
And Piet Smile

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Chickadee, so sorry to hear about your daughters rabbit Sad I hope the rest of the kits make out ok! Is she still able to feed them? What an awful thing to go through! Hugs

17French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Empty Re: French Lop ears and eyes....pictures :( Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:12 pm

chickadee

chickadee

Pasturella and staph. Where this came from? I don't know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum