Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

question: separating muscovy hens and their ducklings from the others

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

niglefritz

I have a question about separating muscovies. When our ducklings hatch, would we be able to put 2 moms or more with their little ones in one area, or do we need to house them separately? Right now everyone is free range. We do want to house them to keep them safe from the dog and the drakes. I think that somewhere I read that one mom might kill another's young. Is this right? We would like to have things ready before it gets too dangerous for them or too chaotic.

Based on the information that I am going to say, at what time would it work to let them all out? The dog will respect the ducklings if they are older and certainly if they are larger than magpie babies (she tortures them for the reaction of the parents), and if she knows that they belong and are to be protected. She never hurt any of our chicks if they got loose, but instead would herd them back into their fence when they got out. Also, I understand that the drakes can cause problems with young ones. When would it be safe considering this, to let them out considering that they might be aggressive toward their young?

Thanks for your help!

I would mix them any time. I've had multiple hatches mingled together and the Mamas and babies always seem to know who is who as long as they have time to bond before you mix them up.

I have never seen a drake be aggressive towards ducklings. I guess it happens, but hasn't on my farm.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have had multiple hatches running together, of course they all free range so lots of space to get out of eachother's ways. Last year was the first year we ever had a drake kill ducklings, it was horrible, I tried rehoming him but no luck, and this year he is very protective of the ducklings (go figure). So it all is a trial and error type thing. I have never had other females get aggressive towards someones ducklings, but the ducklings have gotten confused at times and I have had a mom with a number of different aged ducklings following behind. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum