Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transporting Chicks

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Transporting Chicks Empty Transporting Chicks Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Toaster

Toaster

I know that its common in Canada to ship young chicks, thats not really done here so I have no experience of it.

I have to transport some chicks in my car for some hours to a new owner and I am a little nervous! please can I ask how you package the chicks to keep them warm but allow for air flow?

I'd appreciate any advice Very Happy

2Transporting Chicks Empty Re: Transporting Chicks Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Package them in a box with air holes, about 1/2" in diameter. I make sure they have shavings or something to absorb their mess in the bottom, and then put in as many chicks as needed for warmth. My chick boxes I buy are rated for 25 chicks, they seem comfortable in them, not too crowed and not too much space they can get chilled. If you are transporting yourself you can control temperature in the vehilce much better, so keep it comfortable for you and they should be fine.
In our truck we have dual zone heat, so the driver can stay cooler and the chick side a bit warmer, works great. Also heated seats, if you have heated seats that helps to keep the box bottom warm, LOL.
It depends on how old the chicks are as well, a couple week olds will transport a couple hours just fine, day olds dont need the food or water but are more subjected to chilling. I do not put food or water in my boxes when driving, a wet chick is far worse for wear than a hungery chick.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Transporting Chicks Empty Re: Transporting Chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you have just a few chicks, a shoe box is a good size with holes in it and keep the box down on the floor of the front passenger's seat with the heat on low. Also, those 'hot pockets' or whatever you may call them over there, those little packages you shake and they heat up and you put them in your gloves to keep your hands warm in the winter, you could tape those to the sides of the box. Also, if there's just a few chicks again, paper towel also works on the bottom of the box.

Good luck.

4Transporting Chicks Empty Re: Transporting Chicks Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Toaster

Toaster

Thank you both! the chicks got safely to their new home today, a shoe box was perfect for the job with lots of ventilation and no water dishes and they seemed very happy Very Happy

I wish my car had heated seats! I used to frequently go to Finland on holiday and the hire cars always had heated seats - awesome!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum