Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toe nails and spurs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Toe nails and spurs Empty Toe nails and spurs Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 am

wcmamma

New Here

Could you experts out in Alberta try doing a video on clipping toe nails and to what length and what to do about spurs? A video on how to do this properly, (equipment needed how long before the show,) I am totally freaked out about doing spurs as they are sooo long and what length of toe nails not to get them to bleed and possibly infected. What about cleaning feet? some mentioned they use baking soda and toothpaste to bet under the scales and get them sparkling and them oil the feet. We don't have anything like you do in BC for resources and training in the north. Hey Kyle maybe you could do a speckled Sussex roo so I get the hang of it....

2Toe nails and spurs Empty Re: Toe nails and spurs Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, if that isn't just the coolest request. I have never trimmed toenails on my birds, but have heard so many that do. I have trimmed spurs though, and yas, actually, how do you know how short? I twisted one off my cochin rooster, he had broken the other one off, so we took pliers and twisted the other one off. Tried that on the orpington rooster, wasn't gonna happen, so we dremmeled it shorter. But they were not long and curved, like I think you are talking about. So, ya, me too, wondering how does one REALLY know how short is too short. Also heard the scarey stories about cutting too short and bleeding, that scares me, waiting for responses, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum