Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Loose turkey hen ??

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Loose turkey hen ?? Empty Loose turkey hen ?? Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 pm

I have had a turkey hen hanging around my turkey pen now for three days ( likes my Toms I guess ? )and I sort of suspect that maybe it's a wild one ? but I can't tell for sure ? Looks kinda like my BBB hen ,just a bit darker so It might be a escaped hen that got away from someone ? All I know is that if I can I'll try to catch it ! It looks like it might be a year old ? looks young and I know it's chances are slim with all the feral cats ,dogs and coyotes running around here that it's chances are slim to making it .It doesn't fly away ,just walks in front of me and trys to avoid being caught .What would you do ?? catch it and possiably save it or leave it alone to see if nature lets it live ??

2Loose turkey hen ?? Empty Re: Loose turkey hen ?? Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Exactly how close are you when it "walks in front of" you? Any wild turkey's I've ever encountered stay well, well away from humans. Sounds like either a domestic, or possibly a wild bird that someone was feeding? You could try baiting it into your pen, but also be aware it could be host to some unwelcome bugs that could affect your birds. Pictures?

3Loose turkey hen ?? Empty Re: Loose turkey hen ?? Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:55 am

I actually caught it yesterday towards the evening and it's in a enclosure that it can be around the toms .I could get within ten to fifteen feet of it so that's what threw me off ? All the wild turkeys that I've ever seen were off and running at a quarter of a mile ? We'll see what happens ? needs to be tamed and then if it sticks around I'll take good care of it .Anyone know how to keep a turkey from flting out of it's pen other then putting wire on the top ? I tried clipping the wing feathers on one of my own and it seems to not make much of a differance ?

4Loose turkey hen ?? Empty Re: Loose turkey hen ?? Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:16 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

The wing clip works well but what you want to do is to clip off the primary flight feathers on just one wng. It puts them off ballance and they cant fly. If you do both wings then they are ballanced and they can use thier wings still, although less effectively than full wings of course.

5Loose turkey hen ?? Empty Re: Loose turkey hen ?? Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:56 pm

That would explaine why my one young hen still can fly over the pen even though most of it is wired shut ! Thanks for the info

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum