Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who's your daddy? (And mommy!)

+2
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is my favorite hen. She is unique. Her parents are breeds I have. Can you guess what she is a cross of? Funny, isn't it? Just a mutt but I wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:05 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definately ameraucana in there. Maybe some wyandotte? She is pretty Sue.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:06 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, Oh, oh, I think I know. She is Malay (or dark Cornish) crossed with some kind of laced bird, I would suspect a gold laced wyandotte. Oh and I see a beard and a pea comb, she also has Ameracauna in her, a three way cross???? Her thick legs and the way she stands, like a big stump, think that is the Cornish stance. Oh I love the dark Cornish breed, they are so intriguing and I also LOVE the Malay too, gonna get me a Malay one day. Was I close? Anyways, I love her too, she is just so pretty. Have a wonderful whatever, oops, I mean, a great day, CynthiaM.

4Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:06 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looking again at her blocky front maybe some Cornish in there?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:15 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That was my guess,, dark Cornish x ameraucana

http://countrythyme.ca

6Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:That was my guess,, dark Cornish x ameraucana

Me too. The green legs give it away that there is yellow legs in there somewhere. I always thought that would be a good cross.

She would be even cooler with that strong low brow of the Cornish! One mean, bad a$$ Am!

7Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are,right! Her mom is a bantam dark Cornish and her dad, an Ameraucana of unknown color.. She is a small bird with a big attitude and a body made for eating. She just raised a brood and a better mom there never was. All that attitude in a protective little bundle of motherly fury.

8Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:49 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does she lay a blue/green egg? I think that would be the best cross! Very Happy

9Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:57 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I've been wondering what she feels like? Does she have that cannonball feel of a full cornish?

http://countrythyme.ca

10Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

She started to get broody before she even laid. She was born in August so I am still watching for that first egg!

11Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:33 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If her dad was a true Ameraucana, she will definintely lay green eggs.

12Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:41 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:I've been wondering what she feels like? Does she have that cannonball feel of a full cornish?

Yes, but not to the same extreme!

13Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:43 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:If her dad was a true Ameraucana, she will definintely lay green eggs.

Well, we will see when she starts laying. She is raising her clutch of month old chicks right now, and boy oh boy, you had better stay away from them. How long after hatching should she begin to lay again?

14Who's your daddy?  (And mommy!) Empty Re: Who's your daddy? (And mommy!) Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:47 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Usually by the time the babies are self-sufficient, at about 5-6 weeks old, the mammas begin to allow mating and laying eggs. Well, that is the age I have noticed with cochins and my buff orpingtons. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum