Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poppy returns! And with an attitude adjustment!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not one for writing long posts, but here goes...

To fully understand this story you have to go back to the beginning. We first acquired Poppy, a young female Great Pyr, from a family who was traveling though southern Alberta. They were visiting from Brazil but when they saw Poppy, cold, wet and thin, wandering beside the highway, they could not leave her. So they opened their car door, took her in, spent most of the day trying to find an owner, but no one in the area would claim her.

Poppy was taken to a vet and he determined her to be a young spayed female with a hard to read tattoo. I contacted some Great Pyr breeders but no one got back to me.

We picked her up in Ponoka and drove her home. Though she was a sweet and submissive dog with people, we soon foound out she was nasty and aggressive with other animals, and would not lead. If she didn't want to move you would have to pick her up and carry her.

So where did she fit in our farm? I struggled with keeping her. She was not to be trusted. After working with her for over half a year I thought she could do night patrol. All the animals were locked up and she ran around scaring off the predators. Perfect! Best of all she hated ravens and would chase them unmercifully.

So after 3/4 of a year she had a place with us and could be trusted...or so I thought.

Last week we found out why she was found running loose almost a year ago. A thunderstorm came up when Poppy was patrolling and the last thing I saw of her was a white streak racing to the gate. When the storm had abated she was gone. Cleared the 5' fence. Then I remembered she was found last year after a series of thunderstorms. I had little hope of seeing her again.

Well, I was wrong. I came home tonight and there she was, and boy, had her attitude improved. She was playful and happy, bouncing around Basque, the other Pyr, much to his surprise. Only a week ago she still wanted to rip his face off! I popped her in a kennel with some food and water and I plan to put the cats away and let her out with Basque to see if this improved attitude sticks.

Phew! After a week of stress and worry a new and improved dog has made her way home. Miracles do happen!

That's a very hopefilled story. I do hope it all works out for you and for Poppy.

I've had dogs who are beyond petrified of thunder and have had one go on the run from by my side. It's a carnal fear that can't be called to heel. I have heard of some success being found with "thunder shirts". Have you heard of those? Any old tight t-shirt can do if it fits tight/comfortably enough. If you have enough warning of your storm's arrival maybe you could use it with her?

I hope she's had an epiphany whilst on her latest trip off-farm. Who knows? Maybe she had a preverbial lightning bolt of inspiration and will be a new dog for you. I hope it works out anyway.

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh I hope this does work!
s

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thunder shirts eh? Sounds like the heavy lap stuffies and the tight elastic coats we put on certain special Ed kids to give them a sense of security and muscular control in uncomfortable situations.

I do have kennels, and if a storm is coming I will put her in one.

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My brother has a lab who will literally rip the huose apart trying to hide from thunder. The vet recommended 1 tsp of gravol when a storm is coming. Works like a charm!

Schipperkesue wrote:tight elastic coats we put on certain special Ed kids to give them a sense of security

Sounds like you're familiar with the idea.

Here's just one endorsement. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have a friend who breeds Rhodesian Ridgebacks and she and her dog-trainer sister both advocate for them; swear by them even.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hope whatever happened, whatever shift that took place, sticks. You would think in Alberta, famous for those biblical storms, that dogs would get used to it. WHy it bothers some and not others has always puzzled me.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am crossing my fingers Uno. None of the others seem to mind the thunder and lightning.

I just let her out and she was sweet and playful with Basque. He took the friendliness a little too far and he got a well deserved snap. They are both out laying on the lawn right now. Hopefully the treaty is not broken.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

A happy ending to a very sad story, I am happy too to hear of this, beautiful day wishes, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum