Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A tomato variety

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A tomato variety Empty A tomato variety Fri May 25, 2012 7:41 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, could someone explain to me what a potato leaf tomato plant is? I am sure that I have grown these, but it makes not a hoot of sense, what does it mean??? Have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

2A tomato variety Empty Re: A tomato variety Fri May 25, 2012 7:33 pm

HI Miss Cynthia. I know this answer (which is rare).

It really just is a leaf type. Potato leaf varieties have longer, uninterrupted leaves rather than a typical looking tomato leaf many have come to recognize. Most notably, brandywine and Stupice tomato varieties are considered Potato leaf tomatoes. I think its more so for detecting 'true to type' as it's just part of the evolution of the night shade plants.

Hope this helps.

Oh and, I found a good comparison picture for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

3A tomato variety Empty Re: A tomato variety Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good example there.

One other difference is that potato leaf varieties also have a bit of a different flower type, where the pistil is longer than the anthers rather than it being shorter than the anthers like in a regular leaf tomato.

This only matters if you want to save seed, they are more likely to cross pollinate and need extra spacing between varieties to stay true.

http://countrythyme.ca

4A tomato variety Empty Re: A tomato variety Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

cool

5A tomato variety Empty Re: A tomato variety Sat May 26, 2012 6:24 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, thank you for that Sweetened, nice when one can know something and feel like they can give a great explanation, coooool. Ya, getting the tomatoes in within the next couple of days. I just didn't pull it together enough to get starts done. Brandywine is one that I am trying again, giving it a better chance. And also Stupice was one I had looked at too. Hmmmm....seems I may have a couple of potato leaf varieties. I won't be collecting seed, my Cousin is a massive seed saver and will always have seed for me. Wish I could find Grahman goodkeeper starts, got the seed, but not starts, sigh....now that is a nice tomato, kind of heart or tear dropped shaped, hmmmm, meaning kind of pointy on the bottom, but surely is nice. A fellow up the road is selling started plants, gonna try and keep it local too, I would like to support him. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum