Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Are Poultry Judges Theatened By Silkies ?

+11
happychicks
Fowler
Sebas49
toybarons
viczoe
cbotkin
Schipperkesue
k.r.l
Arcticsun
coopslave
liz
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My theory is that it may have been the hardest part of their exam for their judges license . Would love to hear other theory's .

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Isn't EVERYONE threatened by Silkies!? Shocked

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Judging the silkie is a delicate art. One must be of the most sensitive consitition and keen mind. The multitude of fine details, nuances and points can be overwhelming to even the most experienced poultry fancier. The strict and demanding standard alone is not for the noobie or faint of heart. A confident and highly trained eye and hand is required. There is a school in Tibet that teaches only the art of Master Silkie Evaluation. It is a 4 year program which includes meditation, fasting and mastery of 2 different aincent martial arts. Few judges ever complete the program, instead they take the shorter and less demanding ABA exams. This route leaves the judge unprepared for the power of the silkie, she shere magnitude of the powerful aura energy. Many judges have experienced temporary transmogrification from being in the presence of multiple silkies, especialy after having handled a few birds. Upon regaining full conciousness the judges often describes feelings of nirvana or spiritual extacy, enlightenment, even inner locutions sounding much like the gentle purring boks of the silkie hen bestowing her wisdom.

Regardless, few are ever the same after the experience, many becoming spiritual leaders, gurus, inspirational speakers or join religious orders to deepen their understanding experience of the Silkie.

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think they are threatened by Silkies due to the soft fluffiness of the Silkie it makes it hard for them to be critical when your petting something so soft...

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pssst! Don't tell Liz but Silkies aren't REALLY chickens! That is why the judges are so intimidated. They are bundles of fluffy sweetness in a vague chickeny shape.

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbotkin

cbotkin

I think sometimes judges have failed math and they can't count past 4.

Just kidding, but we will see who knows about the breed.

http://www.cbotkin.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

cbotkin wrote:I think sometimes judges have failed math and they can't count past 4.

Just kidding, but we will see who knows about the breed.

Aha! That is why they never give Houdans a second look!

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I will let you all in on a secret, we judges are not threatened by Silkies, If the truth be known we are totally in AWE of the fact that something that is supposed to be a breed of poultry can be so STUNNED, sitting there not seeing anything with that thing on their heads unable to locate even the one thing that it takes to keep them alive food and water. The problem with judging too many of them in a row is that yes and this is true we start to become as stunned as them. It takes a very SPECIAL(and I say that with tongue in cheek) person to be able to deal with them on a day to day basis and not start feeling that you want to put it on a stick and dust with it and the poor things have not enough brain power to have a fight or flight response just sitting there in their own little silky world. As we speak right now my husband is having the pleasure and pain of looking after his own silkies for a change while I recover and even he comes in from the barn shaking his head at the Silkies and is thinking of writing a book called the Silkie DIARIES, thou I doubt it will be a best seller, unlike the SILKIES themselves.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooooo! The Silkie Diaries..... I WILL READ IT!!!!!
bounce bounce bounce

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun wrote:Judging the silkie is a delicate art. One must be of the most sensitive consitition and keen mind. The multitude of fine details, nuances and points can be overwhelming to even the most experienced poultry fancier. The strict and demanding standard alone is not for the noobie or faint of heart. A confident and highly trained eye and hand is required. There is a school in Tibet that teaches only the art of Master Silkie Evaluation. It is a 4 year program which includes meditation, fasting and mastery of 2 different aincent martial arts. Few judges ever complete the program, instead they take the shorter and less demanding ABA exams. This route leaves the judge unprepared for the power of the silkie, she shere magnitude of the powerful aura energy. Many judges have experienced temporary transmogrification from being in the presence of multiple silkies, especialy after having handled a few birds. Upon regaining full conciousness the judges often describes feelings of nirvana or spiritual extacy, enlightenment, even inner locutions sounding much like the gentle purring boks of the silkie hen bestowing her wisdom.

Regardless, few are ever the same after the experience, many becoming spiritual leaders, gurus, inspirational speakers or join religious orders to deepen their understanding experience of the Silkie.

Arctic has her zen on!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Silkies are the blondes of poultry. They simply are the BOMB, YO!

Now if you will excuse me I have to snuzzle with my polish.

Sebas49

Sebas49

Well, I wasn't on the forum right away to catch the Silkie stuff. I guess I was lucky because others responded. Heather put it very nice, saying Silkies are stunned and are not real chickens, they are crossed with rabbits or something fuzzy. Cross breeds should be DQ. Toybarons said nicely also "Silkies are the blondes of poultry". I guess that's what happens when you in-breed to much, they become stunned and not to swift. Judging them is certainly not intimating because they do not move around and are easy to catch. Judging one pile of fur to other pile of fur is different alright. I guess we need to handle them to see if they are alive and they have all the parts a chicken has.

Shannon, I think the program you were talking about is not dealing with the Silkie chicken, but nice try. Silkie chicken judging program is 4 minutes long not 4 years. If it was 4 years long and you were studying the same bird it would die before the program was completed. Silkies average life span is 6 months, which is 5 months and 29 days to long. Enough said about Silkies. They are getting to much print.

http://www.c-rducks.com

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have to agee with Rico, too much print and sooooo many lovers of the fluff out there, so they will not be defeated, but becareful not to get sucked into their I am in my own STUNNED world stance.

Now on to more lovely, personality real chickens MODERN GAMES!!!!!!!
They have it happening, what more can I say.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

BEHOLD ! The almighty Silkie!!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dang! All this time I've spelled it "SICKLY". I wonder if that hurt my chances...

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

FOWLER!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Aw, c'mon you guys! You all know you LUV silkies. Fondly referred to around here as "cats with two legs" Very Happy

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun wrote:FOWLER!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Tut tut, I can make fun because I own some. Personally, I don't find them stunned at all. Although they do take brooding a bit to the extreme.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hee, hee, as an intense disliker of the breed, these comments are all very funny. I have never owned a silkie and have only seen them from no closer than 1 foot away, but I would not care to get any closer anyways. I like big fluffy birds, not teeny tiny fluffy birds. Guess they are good for some, and this is what makes this awesome world go round, and round, and round. Blondes of the poultry world, cool, love that. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

silkies are great for "nonchicken" people, they just cant resist the unchickeness of them!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i think i am the only one that does not like siklys (hehehe), there sooooooooo dumb! No point of having them around here.... Would not last with the Cyoutes,Fox, Owls, cat's, dogs

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

LOL! Hey! Hey! Hey! Lets cut the silkies a break!

They are super intelligent. They just pretend not to be. That way no one expects too much of them.

Rotten Ronnie the Rooster let his guard down and let it out what a ferocious bird they can be. He had all the other roo's cowering in fear and all the hens hiding from his amorous advances. One look in his shiny brown eyes, and you could see the cool calculation taking place in his little brain.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Hee, hee, as an intense disliker of the breed, these comments are all very funny. I have never owned a silkie and have only seen them from no closer than 1 foot away, but I would not care to get any closer anyways. I like big fluffy birds, not teeny tiny fluffy birds. Guess they are good for some, and this is what makes this awesome world go round, and round, and round. Blondes of the poultry world, cool, love that. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Little does Cynthia know, but she is hosting a secret silkie. I snuck a Silkie egg into that bunch of Cochin eggs she got a couple weeks ago. Mwahahahaha! I was a cuckoo in a previous life.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Little does Cynthia know, but she is hosting a secret silkie. I snuck a Silkie egg into that bunch of Cochin eggs she got a couple weeks ago. Mwahahahaha! I was a cuckoo in a previous life.

Shocked Lil' Sue, now you wouldn't be goin' 'bout doin' somethin' crazy like that, now wuld ya girl, smiling a huge smile. Thinkin' if I hadun a silkie egg in the bunch, they would not have looked as big as they did, smiling again. But thanks, I forgot that the mamma is due to hatch soon, need to get some stuff readied for her, she is due on Monday. Now if there is a little top hat silkie baby present, I'll pack it right up and send by mail to ya, smiling that big smile. Kidding. Silkies have their place for surely. Beautiful days to us all, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum