Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Incubation period for Muscovies and other duck egg questions

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

niglefritz

We have found that our Muscovies are FINALLY starting to lay. There are 4 eggs (and one orange plastic) one in a nest that was found, just this morning. The kids stole 2 and I told them promptly to put them back. affraid One of them had to move the hen over to put them back and she rushed right back onto the nest. They brought in another egg to eat that was just off by itself. They have now been told to leave the nest alone if they want to see little ones and if they don't want to get hurt. The drakes have started to fight some and I so I also don't want the kids getting caught in the pen with those or an overly protective hen. That is where the nest was found, by the way.

Now, I thought that I had found information on this, but I can't seem to find it. Generally how long is it before they go broody? There is currently at least 2 hens laying in that nest. Also, how long is the incubation period for Muscovies? We are also interested in possibly getting some Indian Runner Eggs from somewhere (not sure where yet) and want to put them in the nest for hatching alongside the Muscovy eggs. When would we put them under so that they would hatch at the right time? I would hate to pay for eggs and then not have them hatch because we did something wrong. Would Runner eggs have strong enough shells that they wouldn't break under the hen's weight?

I think that that is all of my questions for the day. Smile I am looking forward to finally seeing some ducklings around here. They would be our first hatch. sunny

Not sure on the rest of what you ask, but Muscovy ducklings take 35 days to hatch.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would set the runner duck eggs so they hatched the same time as the scovies and I am pretty sure they hatch in 28 days. Good luck with this, I cannot answer your other questions other than yes muscovies take 35 days to hatch

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum